Delay Plugins

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stevenew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Delay Plugins

Post by stevenew »

Every time I start working on recording my own music, I keep feeling that none of the delay/echo plugins I have really does it for me, for guitar and general use. My current goto is Valhalla Ubermod, which I find pretty organic & musical. Besides the MOTU stuff in DP8 I have, ohmboyz, Nomad Echos, IK Tape Echo, NI Replika, plus the delay in Scuffam S-Gear (I think that's the lot).

Back in the day, I had real Echoplex, Space Echo, Copycat, Digitals by Korg & Roland, recently I have had Eventide Timefactor and now TC Flashback x4. I have yet to find a plugin that I find as inspiring to play through in real time as any of these hardware units.

I am about to download the demo of Echoboy, everyone I speak to says it is the one to go for. I guess I have been put off by the price.

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
bayswater

Re: Delay Plugins

Post by bayswater »

When Eventide had the no brainer deal on ultrachannel and ultrareverb, I got both. For me, the delays on these are perfect. They might be too expensive right now, but there are 14 day demos.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

Waves H Delay, Metric Halo Dirty Delay, Boz Digital Imperial Delay, and Exponetial Audio Excalibur, which is on sale now.
http://www.exponentialaudio.com/meet-ex ... cts-plugin

rich
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the Metric Halo Dirty Delay, could be good for $75 the demo video sounded pretty good, the Boz Digital Imperial Delay out of my price range at $299, not sure how much the Exponetial Audio Excalibur is as their store is offline at the moment.

I forgot I have the Eventide ultra channel, I must confess I have never tried the delay in it with guitar, I will give it a go.

I have been messing around with Echoboy, it is interesting but not enough for me to buy it, I was underwhelmed with the space echo, echoplex, settings. Actually it made me realise how good the Valhalla Ubermod is, I guess I have created some pretty convincing tape/space echo with it.

Off to download Dirt Delay:-)

Thanks again

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I still use TAL-DUB III ( OS 10.6.8 though )
Maybe it works with a newer OS too ?
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-dub

Best

Klaus
Last edited by Klaus on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

While not the cheapest solution, the UAD-2 plugs Roland Space Echo, Cooper Time Cube, Echoplex EP-1 and MXR Doubler/Flanger all sound pretty great.

On the cheap alternative, I've had pretty good results with the Delay plug in DP, however, it seems to have sporadic digital clicks when using locked timing (beats,notes). It does works great if you're okay with using non-locked milliseconds. I've also got PSP 608 Multi-tap which is nice albeit a bit of a pain to setup manually and the Waves Multi-tap.

I will say that even with owning all the above plugs, I still opt for the DP Delay as it's pretty simple and sounds good, but have been experimenting with using mono UAD EP-1 on the left and right tracks of a stereo guitar with some success.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

+1 on Waves H-Delay, really very versatile and good sounding, and the Manny Marroquin Delay is also very nice.

+1 on the Eventide, although since I got it I've been slammed with projects that haven't allowed me to play with it much.

I've also had good results with the Space Echo in Guitar Rig and yes, if you fiddle with it a bit DP's delay also gets the job done.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Thanks guys, some really good suggestions, if I could afford it I would go for UAD-2 but it is not an option at the moment. Prior to using Ubermod, Nomad Echoes was my goto for tape like delay, I forgot I also have Audio Damage Dub Station which I used a lot a few years back. I guess I should spend some time revisiting plugins I have not used in ages like the DP delay.

Thanks

Steve
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:When Eventide had the no brainer deal on ultrachannel and ultrareverb, I got both. For me, the delays on these are perfect. They might be too expensive right now, but there are 14 day demos.
I have a number of delays but these just sound right.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stevenew wrote:Prior to using Ubermod, Nomad Echoes was my goto for tape like delay...
I was about to recommend that one. I still use it. I haven't tried the ones in the Eventide plug-in yet, though. Perhaps I'll give that a whirl.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Where are the delays in the Eventide plugs? I just checked their website and don't see any. I'll be launching DP shortly though, so I'll recheck Ultraverb. I don't remember it having Delays, and Ultrachannel looks like a channel strip.

Delays come in so many flavours that it's hard to live with just one. Right now two of my favorites are the dirty analog delay from Softube (especially on Marshall amp tracks) and the free Replika from NI. Not because it's free but because it's incredible and versatile. I have plenty of delays so saving money didn't factor into my choices listed here.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You don't mean NI's "Replika", do you, Mark?

Oh, and I think the delay is in the UltraChannel plug. Haven't tried it yet, but I seem to recall someone's saying something about this. I'm probably wrong 'though, 'cause I'd expect a delay to typically be in a 'verb plug; I mean, it's "crude" 'verb after all, algorithmically speaking.

Then again, a precision delay is arguably a channel utility, and it could be an extension of that...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

May I suggest investigating farther in DP delay?

It shows a nice low pass filter on regen path, sync to sequence tempo, choice of note duration delay times for each channel, left-right cross-regeneration...
I generally end up with a severe high pass and high frequencies taming, though.

It's been involved in quite all my mixes for years now. Could not be happier with delay FX, I guess.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

mhschmieder wrote:Where are the delays in the Eventide plugs? I just checked their website and don't see any. I'll be launching DP shortly though, so I'll recheck Ultraverb. I don't remember it having Delays, and Ultrachannel looks like a channel strip.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:Ultrachannel looks like a channel strip.
With a delay.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8