Slate Digital = !!!!!!

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate Digital = !!!!!!

Post by Gravity Jim »

I wish I had tried these sooner, but there's plenty of time left in life to get into it.

Thanks to the free Revival offer, I ended up downloading a trial version of the Virtual Mix Rack. Holy cow, the plugs are awesomely good. I am buying the VMR and the VCC set RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.

I know there are a lot of fans of these plugs here. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks to SSD for their sharp marketing ("sure kid, you can have the free plug in, but you have to take the rest of them, too... go ahead, try 'em out for a couple weeks...")
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Slate Digital = !!!!!!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Links????!!!!! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Sorry... I always assume the Forum is way ahead of me on these things!

http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival

You need an iLok 2. I just got one for 30 bucks shipped, but I could have had one for only 20 through Slate Digital.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks, man. I'll check eet out.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

As you'd expect from a serious developer, the free plugin (Revival) is very limited in scope... It's sort of a tube-charged Aural Exciter. It's the classic compressors and equalizers (two of each) in the VMR that blew me away. You get a two-week trial license. First thing I put it on was a Steely Dan-esque guitar solo that wouldn't let me find the right balance of smoothness and bite. Nailed it five minutes with the Slate VMR. They just sound good.

(Off topic: Lisa and I are watching the French silent film Fantômas on Netflix. The score is mostly good, but the composer made some odd choices.)
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

5.5 hours - dang! I listened to the preview at Kino but can't seem to find the composer's name. I know a lot of those guys so I'm curious. Do you know who scored it? The preview sounds like it was competently done.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

IMDB says its Paul Fosse, who's other credits seem to also be French silents. Yeah, I liked it, except for one odd "counting time" motif with a lead oboe that showed up in the prison scenes that called too much attention to itself. We watched the first hour, which is the first self-contained serial... But, yeah, there's another 4.5 hours. I liked it well enough that we'll likely watch it all.
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

I don't know him. Figures. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Posting this in a couple topics. FWIW, I got a notification that Fabrice Gabriel (the FG in FG-X) who designs the algorithms for Slate Digital is interviewed on Pensado's Place. Probably worth the watch: (Jump to about 15:26 to see the segment with Fabrice)

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'll be checking that out. I ended up buying FG-X, too. These plugs sound great!
Jim Bordner

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:I'll be checking that out. I ended up buying FG-X, too. These plugs sound great!
Not to get too carried away, but I really think Fabrice is sort of picks up the mantle of Michael Gerzon in that he's just an artist of the algorithm. His plugs just seem to be setting the bar.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

A question for any fellow Unicorns:

I've downloaded the Slate software, and the iLok authorization is fine.

... only on 1 computer!

(helpful clue: when I was downloading and opening up the first instance of Slate, there was a brief message of something not set right... but it continued)

I have identical settings for DP8 on 2 computers, but I'm only getting the Slate package to open up and be acknowledged in just one of my DP8's.

I've double-check the Audio/Plug-ins/, etc. and everything looks to be the same. And, the DP Preferences are the same.

But Slate only shows up on one of the computers.

I re-downloaded and re-installed on the problem DP8, but still a no show.

Any suggestions?
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

another clue to Slate not showing on one computer:

- Slate shows up as an AU option when I open up DSP-Quattro.
- Slate doesn't show up as an AU option when I open up DP8. (but, it will show up as VST)

Thanks for any suggestions!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

First suggestion would be to start a thread in Troubleshooting (or better yet, General Recording) so people will see your question... they're not likely to look here.

Second would be to pay more attention to those messages about "something" not being "set right." Knowing what it actually said would be even more of a helpful clue.
Jim Bordner

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Just finished my first run-through with Slate's FG-X Virtual Mastering Console. Absolutely blows away anything I've ever put on the master buss. Just incredible.

It seems that Fabrice Gabriel's thing is creating algorithms that make these kinds of plugs work the way musicians would want them to, rather than how engineers have always done it, and taking the mystery out of the process. Three cheers. Also sounds awesome.
Jim Bordner