The Tuner

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Tuner

Post by HCMarkus »

I"ve got a pretty cool studio. Been building and improving for years, and it's working really well n all levels at present. But there is no feature that has drawn more surprised and delighted responses than the rack-mount chromatic tuner mounted high on the studio's front wall, above the center surround monitor speaker. Visible from anywhere in the control room, the tuner is always connected to an output on my 828mkII, and I can route any input to the tuner in real time. Keeps those guitar tracks in tune!.

Some singers like it, but I dare not turn it on for others!
bayswater

Re: The Tuner

Post by bayswater »

Pictures please.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

HCMarkus wrote:but I dare not turn it on
"The Tuner"

The latest novel by Steven King. Beware of being off key in the presence of...

The Tuner! :D
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This reminds me of seeing a Major Artist at the Santa Cruz Civic a dozen years ago. Her bass player had one of those big 19" Korgs at the top of his rack facing the audience and the LEDs tracked his every note.

Unfortunately, he was playing fretless. It was easy to see that the only time he was in the ballpark of being in tune was when he'd hit an open string and the mark would jump to the 12 o'clock position. Quite distracting since one could hear it, too.

I found it humorous that she'd change instruments on every song, normally alternating between her blue and brown Strats–presumably so that each could be properly re-tuned while the other was being played. Meanwhile, the bass...

Someone should have told him to play fretted. If not, that screen should have been off.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro