Can I Cover My Bass Traps With....?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I Cover My Bass Traps With....?

Post by wonder »

I'm redoing some things in my control room and moving some wall mounted bass traps around.

Thinking about changing the fabric I have covering them.

This may be a ridiculous question, and, in my mind i know the answer but ... i was doing some reading on some sites that recommended using Kraft Paper to cover your bass traps.

Here's my question ... lets say I wanted to use the bass traps as "art". i.e. get a poster printed of some of my artists and put that poster on the front of the bass traps. Is that totally defeating the purpose of absorbing frequencies?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
HCMarkus

Re: Can I Cover My Bass Traps With....?

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't expect that low frequency absorption would be impacted by paper. High frequencies, yes. Crossover point: unknown, would likely depend on thickness of paper.

You can get printing done on cloth if you need to maintain HF attenuation.
wonder

Post by wonder »

HCMarkus wrote:I don't expect that low frequency absorption would be impacted by paper. High frequencies, yes. Crossover point: unknown, would likely depend on thickness of paper.

You can get printing done on cloth if you need to maintain HF attenuation.
Fabric Posters might be a good option. More expensive. But an option.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You guys are so much more uptown than I am about these things.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I spent a lot of time experimenting with different configurations in my studio. The most important thing I learned is that all the accumulated knowledge about this stuff is just a starting point. In the end, what works is specific to your room. Paper over bass traps may be the exact combination you need for a perfect recording environment, but it may suck in my room - or vice versa. The best advice I can offer is try it, listen, adjust, etc. There's a wicker chair in the corner of my studio that just needs to be there. If it gets moved, things just don't sound right. Who'da thunk it?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

My only concern with paper would be that low-frequencies at high energy levels (like kicks) could cause the paper to oscillate/resonate potentially adding some crinkle/flutter noise. Fabric (even just bought in rolls at a fabric store) would be a nice & safe option. You could find LOTS of design options and not as expensive as printing to fabric in that quantity. Attach with durable elastic & safety-pins on the non visible side so it will remain a snug fit.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
leigh

Post by leigh »

Just a thought: a T-shirt shop might be able to heat-press your own designs onto the fabric.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I used some nice burnt orange drapes (cut up) to cover mine. Some other ones I used fairly cheap muslin from Walmart. Why would you use paper? There may be a legitimate reason, but it seems counter-intuitive.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce