I need Synth Brass VI (Prince/80s style)

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I need Synth Brass VI (Prince/80s style)

Post by wonder »

I'm looking for a great VI plugin for Synth Brass. (big and meaty).

A la' Prince's "Lolita" and other sounds like I have in my Yamaha Motif.

I need this in Plugin VI format.

Any suggestions?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mhschmieder

Re: I need Synth Brass VI (Prince/80s style)

Post by mhschmieder »

Best bet is an Oberheim type VI; second best is a Prophet type VI. Third choice is FM synthesis, and fourth choice would be a Jupiter/Juno type clone.

Prince was especially fond of Oberheim synths and drum machines during the 80's and after.

I use hardware analog synths for most of my synth brass work (various DSI products such as the Prophet 12), but when looking to soft synths, I tend to audition patches from Arturia Oberheim SEM V, Jupiter V, Prophet V (and especially Prophet VS), and Native Instruments FM8.

Sonic Projects has its OP-X emulation of the OB-series synths from Oberheim, but it requires Native Instruments Reaktor to run. They have a Windows-only version with more features, which was built using an open source synth toolkit.

Once you select the sound you want, be sure to avoid block chords if you want it to sound articulate and fat/deep. I don't necessarily mean using different patches for harmonized single-line tracks (although that also works great), but at least not having every note in a chord align precisely at the same tic each time. You can use DP's Quantize feature to achieve this too.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
wonder

Re: I need Synth Brass VI (Prince/80s style)

Post by wonder »

mhschmieder wrote:Best bet is an Oberheim type VI; second best is a Prophet type VI. Third choice is FM synthesis, and fourth choice would be a Jupiter/Juno type clone.

Prince was especially fond of Oberheim synths and drum machines during the 80's and after.

I use hardware analog synths for most of my synth brass work (various DSI products such as the Prophet 12), but when looking to soft synths, I tend to audition patches from Arturia Oberheim SEM V, Jupiter V, Prophet V (and especially Prophet VS), and Native Instruments FM8.

Sonic Projects has its OP-X emulation of the OB-serues synths from Oberheim, but it requires Native Instruments Reaktor to run. They have a Windows-only version with more features, which was built using an open source synth toolkit.

Once you select the sound you want, be sure to avoid block chords if you want it to sound articulate and fat/deep. I don't necessarily mean using different patches for harmonized single-line tracks (although that also works great), but at least not having every note in a chord align precisely at the same tic each time. You can use DP's Quantize feature to achieve this too.

awesome. I'll check all these out.

:headbang:
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear