Peluso P12 (Classic AKG C12 stand-in) -- RECOMMENDED

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Peluso P12 (Classic AKG C12 stand-in) -- RECOMMENDED

Post by monkey man »

mhschmieder wrote:MM, if it makes you feel any better, the C414 gold that you bought is apparently a very recent v2 upgrade, and they claim it is more ideal for vocals than other recent 414-series mics and that it comes the closest to the classic C12 (that my Peluso P12 is modeled after) of any C414 from the past few decades.

I hope it lives up to the hype and that you find it as hassle-free in the mix as I am finding my P12.
Aarrgghh! Thank you, Mark.

I changed the order back to the standard, silver version just to be safe, much to the dismay of the store as it had ordered and received the gold one, contrary to what it'd told me (said it was in stock). I s'pose if it's not sold yet I could plunge for it instead; thankfully the lay-buy, now almost a year in the running, has been delayed by the preamp purchase.

Turns out there have been serious issues with the supplier, who happens to be the fella who, from 1999 through 2002, ruined my studio-upgrade (to Mac & DP etc.) schedule as well as my saved capital for other important music gear. It's interesting to me to hear the language employed when this fella is spoken of, and what the apparent perception in the Oz industry of this character is. It's gratifying in a perverse way to hear this stuff, 'cause he put me through Hell and has thus far cost me 13 years' delay (16 including the ordeal period) in starting my career, but of course I feel for the store who's simply trying to look after me.

All that said, this piece of work has now cost me another 8 months (and counting), and he doesn't even know it!

I'll call the store in the morning to see if that gold unit's still there; I can always grab the silver down the line a bit. Thank you ever so much for your thoughts, as always, Mark. This is what I'd been waiting for, bro'!

EDIT: Great to hear how wrapped you are with the performance of the new mic, Mark. Awesome, man.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Reviving this thread, Mark, as I have a question for you about this pre and mic purchase.

Firstly 'though, an update:
Apparently a silver one was in fact ordered for me, and I'm obligated to buy it. Hopefully, if I need it, I can add a bit of air via EQ without sounding too far from the gold one.

The question:
I only just received an email from Slate where I learned about the VMS. It must've appeared whilst I was buried in my last "break" from all things audio, including MOTUNation, as this is the first I've heard of it.

Given that I don't know which combinations of mic and pre will suit my voice, I can't help but wonder if I've made the purchasing-blunder of my life with this lay-buy, which I cannot cancel. Would I have been better off buying the VMS?

Any thoughts you have, anything at all, will be very-much appreciated, mate.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well, it must be my lucky day.

The owner of the store hinted that the deal is something I can still opt out of; he said he'd rather not have to deal with that fella ever again if he could help it. This is for the pre, the major expense, but seeing as the mic purchase is connected to it, I can't see why he'd not afford me a break there too.

He'd not heard of the VMS, and is looking into it. If it's indeed a viable option for me, it'd mean that all that moolah I've already plunked down for the mic and pre since August 2014 could be used for the VMS, with loads to spare. My virtual drum and "proper" guitar purchases could then be brought forward by a year, meaning that I'd finally be able to start mekin' muzac... finally.

It all comes down to the quality of the mic and pre on offer, as well as the authenticity of the models, it would seem.

Oh, and Steven mentioned (in the PooToob video) that one could apply the modelling and monitor sans latency. I'd like to know more about this, obviously, and specifically how it'd play out in DP.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm real curious about VMS myself but haven't had time to play catch-up as every thread at every forum is many pages long.

When it was first announced, I thought it was already out and that I had dismissed it due to cost, having to use too many instances with parallel routing or other weirdnesses (there are some other plugs I passed on this year due to complexity of use).

Given that my production run is becoming ever-more dominated by Slate products though, the idea of VMS being able to help with vocals in particular (which, I understand, is its primary purpose) could save me a bundle on "alternate mics" for "special singers".

Some of those specialty mics also have a place on upright bass, kick drum, drum overheads, guitar/bass cabinet, woodwinds, etc. But there's always going to be a few somewhat expensive mics that we all want "just in case" as each singer is different. So Slate was wise to focus on that aspect with his product.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

...the idea of VMS being able to help with vocals in particular (which, I understand, is its primary purpose) could save me a bundle on "alternate mics" for "special singers"
Ha! I hear you there.

A friend of mine has a small tenor voice and seems to sound good only on a Beta 58. Engineers who've worked with him before tell him that they have one already set up. Those who haven't pull out every exotic mic in the cabinet trying to find something that sounds better on his voice.

I have the opposite issue. My deep bass voice is best described as huge. I sound good on most mics if they are at least three feet away but, up close, I've never heard the mic I can love.

I have high hopes for my new sE VR1 ribbon that I bought with a Cloudlifter CLZ. It's my new favorite voice over and upright bass mic and I'm hoping that, by playing with the impedance, I can make it into a vocal mic that I can like.
http://resolution.nodecube.net/products ... %20VR2.pdf

http://cloudmicrophones.com/products/cloudlifter-cl-z/

I'm looking forward to trying the CL-Z on a Beta 58 to see if lowering the input impedance makes a difference on my friend's voice. I really like what the correct impedance does for an SM57.

I will be fun to try out the VMS once someone I work with gets one. I sold my Antares Mic Modeler a few years back and never use the plugin.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Henry Robinett

Peluso P12 (Classic AKG C12 stand-in) -- RECOMMENDED

Post by Henry Robinett »

I'm a big proponent of Peluso Mics. I've written several reviews of them for TapeOp. I have two P-12s. I have a 2247 and a 2247LE. P28, CEMC-6s and a couple of his ribbons. I love those mics.

I don't know what VMS is in reference to.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Henry, good to see you chime in -- it's been awhile.

VMS is Stephen Slate's Virtual Microphone System (or maybe something similar to that). He provides an apparently neutral mic that is fed to the software, which then emulates the characteristics of any number of mics that are known for vocal recordings.

That's the 20,000 foot view. I haven't been following the recent postings at GS since the long-delayed product finally got released.

Good to hear of your experience with other Peluso mics, as I plan to buy a bunch of them over the course of the next year.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Ah! Thanks for the explanation! You know, I almost NEVER venture out into GS territory any more. And I recall reading about the VMS thing, but ultimately it never interested me.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

I had one boutique mic, a Neumann U-89.

I got a little windfall and wanted to have a nice stereo pair of boutique mics. Looked at a matching U-89, but figured it'd be difficult to find an exact mate.

Thought about a pair of Royer 121s, but hears most ribbons were a bit dull.

I ended up getting a pair of Peluso P12s. Super glad I did. It turns out they are the perfect alternative to the U-89, which is considerably darker. The P12s are amazing on drum overheads, on acoustic guitars and on some vocalists. They really shine with API clone preamps (SCA A12s) without sounding harsh. And I had to return one early on and John Peluso was a joy to work with. I judge vendors/manufacturer much more on their responsiveness to issues than to problem freeness.

I couldn't find bad reviews, which is pretty unusual. So glad I got these babies.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos