Trouble With a Headphone Jack

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
motu5387
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Trouble With a Headphone Jack

Post by motu5387 »

I don't know if anyone may know about this, but you can certainly give it your best shot. I have a MOTU 896HD Audio Interface, and I've run into a bit of a strange situation. Just the other day, for some reason, when I put the quarter-inch connector for my headphones into the headphone jack, the connector somehow split in half, and the half with the tip end is stuck in the headphone jack. Someone at MOTU, a guy named Robin, told me that the MOTU 896HD is no longer supported by their service department, but he told me that our best bet is probably to open the machine and try to push the stuck half out from the inside - this should be doable. Robin also says that while the service technicians typically do not recommend removing the top of the unit, in this case it would really be the only way to resolve the situation since they no longer service this machine. Before opening the machine, whoever fixes it for me will have to make sure it is powered off, and that any audio cables and equipment are disconnected from the jacks. This procedure would not be dangerous for anyone to complete, though for the safety of the unit, he would recommend only working on the headphone jack and avoid touching anything else. He also informed me that the jack is an enclosed one, rather than an open one, and he says a replacement jack may be necessary. I'm not sure how much this may cost for me to get it fixed. The machine I have is the MOTU 896HD, Serial Number 896D111448. One thing that's had me confused, what's the difference between an enclosed headphone jack and an open one?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Trouble With a Headphone Jack

Post by mikehalloran »

An open jack has the insides visible. Here is a Switchcraft 12B

A closed jack will have it encased in plastic.

These are standard parts but there are many configurations. Hopefully, you can get a part number off the old one and find a match online.

Sometimes you get lucky and have enough room to wire in an open jack to replace a closed. If there are only three wires to the jack, this is often possible. I have done it many times.

Other times, inserting the plug causes other things to happen and you really need the right part. If there are four or more wires to the female jack, this may be the case.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

If you can't get to it from the inside of the unit, you might be able to grab on the the broken part with some forceps or needle-nose pliers. Just be sure that what you grab is the broken part of the plug and NOT part of the jack.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

I'm perplexed by MOTU's choice to not service their not so older models. When I learned they won't make service info available for third party repairs I realized this is a move they think will encourage sales of their newer devices.
Wrong.
I bought a total of 3 896's not a scratch ... just want one repaired, won't do it.
I wont be buying new MOTU gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The 896 was made from 2001 to early 2004. Some things can be repaired by a knowledgable tech using off the shelf components; others can't. Google is your friend.

So you are bent that MOTU won't repair a piece of gear that is 13 years old. Ok then...

Apple will no longer repair my 2010 iMac nor anything else after 7 years. Some products are no longer eligible for repair after 5 years.. I'll live.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

14 year old person: Not Old
14 year old car: Old
14 year old tech gear: Ancient

Not to say ancient isn't still useable, but Mike has a point.

Says the guy using an 828mkII purchased in late 2003 (with a barely-used identical backup on hand for quick replacement). :smash: