Labeling Preamps...magnets? tape?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Labeling Preamps...magnets? tape?

Post by wonder »

Like all of you ... I'm constantly taping up preamps to label inputs. Wondering a quicker way than re-taping and labeling each session.

8 of my pre's have VU meters on them (focusrite ISA).

I'm wondering if using small magnet strips with permanent labels on them would NOT be good to place on the face of the pre's? Would that mess up any electronics?

This may be a STUPID question ... so forgive my ignorance.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
HCMarkus

Re: Labeling Preamps...magnets? tape?

Post by HCMarkus »

wonder wrote:I'm wondering if using small magnet strips with permanent labels on them would NOT be good to place on the face of the pre's? Would that mess up any electronics?
Just don't put those magnets on all those 10" reels of tape you use with DP. :lol:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If the meter moves when applying or removing mag labels, you may wish to re-think that. If the meters don't blip, I don't believe there is a problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

mikehalloran wrote:If the meter moves when applying or removing mag labels, you may wish to re-think that. If the meters don't blip, I don't believe there is a problem.
I ordered very small magnets online ... should be here today. I'll post an update.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
David_Focusrite

Post by David_Focusrite »

Hi Wonder,

I would not recommend placing magnets on the front of your unit near the VU Meter. While a small magnet may not cause damage, magnets are able to negative effect the meter. It can possibly magnetize the meter, or bend the needle which can alter the responsiveness of the meter. If you have already tried this out, hopefully your unit is all good!

David // Focusrite Technical Support
wonder

Post by wonder »

David_Focusrite wrote:Hi Wonder,

I would not recommend placing magnets on the front of your unit near the VU Meter. While a small magnet may not cause damage, magnets are able to negative effect the meter. It can possibly magnetize the meter, or bend the needle which can alter the responsiveness of the meter. If you have already tried this out, hopefully your unit is all good!

David, thanks for the reply!
The "magnets" I bought ... well, it turns out they're hardly magnets at all. If fact, I have to just set them on top of the ISA428's knobs to get them to stay.
The ISA's are working fine except for 1 channel that's been unusable for quite some time .. which I have yet to get fixed simply cause of time and I don't know where to take it.

At any rate...thanks for the tip.
David_Focusrite

Post by David_Focusrite »

Hi Wonder,

The nearest service center to LA/OC area would be :

Audio Rehab
3096 N. Clybourn Ave
Burbank, CA 91505
Telephone: 818-557-1232
E-mail: info@audiorehab.net

They will be able to help you get that channel sorted out on your ISA. If you should have any future issues, feel free to give us a shout. Phone support is available Mon-Fri 8am-6pm PST at 310-322-5500

Best,