Which Preamp...Allen & Heath or Presonus?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Which Preamp...Allen & Heath or Presonus?

Post by wonder »

I'm doing a last minute session tomorrow on acoustic grand piano.

The preamps I have to choose from are Allen & Heath mix wizard (analog) or Presonus Digimax FS.

I've never used either and other preamps are not an option.
What would you guys recommend?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Phil O

Re: Which Preamp...Allen & Heath or Presonus?

Post by Phil O »

Many engineers swear by "matching" a preamp to a microphone. While that approach isn't in my bag of tricks, there's something to be said for selecting the right microphone (and preamp coloration can influence what "right" might be).
So, my suggestion would be to test each and listen, test, listen, test some more, etc. The best recordings often start with some signal chain tweaking. And don't rush mike placement. That'll need tweaking too.
Specs be damned. In the end it's got to sound good. But you knew that. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Depending on the genre of the session, I think mic placement on the grand is critical, even beyond pre-amp selection. An inch can make a big difference as can the actual room reflections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

wonder

Post by wonder »

It's so last minute.
I have 2 Apex 420s.
2 SEx1 Mics.
2 Fatboy ribbons.

Those are my choices. I've never used the presonus, that's why I'm asking about the pres. If they're good quality or not.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It depends. You have a piano to test it with; listen to the hig and low ends of the spectrum and the depth in the middle. As George Martin says, "All you need is ears."

Of course, mic selection and placement are more important but since you have two preamp choices, try them both. If you can't hear the difference in five minutes, it doesn't matter.

Many believe that a mic will stay the same and that the preamp colors the sound. Not exactly. The mic will affect the pre and vise versa due to the way that the pre loads the mic. This is why variable impedance mic pres exist and more are on their way. The differences are less noticeable on condenser mics but they still exist due to the transformers.

Here's an interesting article that discusses input impedance in context of one of the worst modern recording mics, the SM-57. Is it possible to use one on other than toms and amplifiers where its weaknesses are considered assets? The author tries an inexpensive mod and says yes.
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/r ... l/330.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waleed444
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by waleed444 »

Of course, mic selection and placement are more important but since you have two preamp choices, try them both. If you can't hear the difference in five minutes, it doesn't matter.
We provide fast success in learnalanguage german language learning dumps exam by using our high quality how to learn swedish free prep resources. We offer up-to-dated University College Dublin dumps
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I'd use the A&H regardless; it's a no-brainer for me.

I've always trusted A&H's small-format consoles. Did an ADAT project for a band called Augy March back in the '90s before they "made it", and believe me, it sounded awesome. So natural and open, even 'though we rigged everything up in a house in an inner-city suburb. The band was blown away too.

Frustratingly, I can't remember the exact name of the console, but it was current at the time. Around 14-18 channels, IIRC.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Given the choice, A&H for better noise floor and reliability, if not also the strong likelihood of a smoother top end. This is just due to the time crunch; the better approach is to spend time seeing what is the best match, after getting ideal mic placement. Also, as these are essentially "used" units, condition should be checked as there are no guarantees at that point...
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH