I am done Done DONE with my Mackie hr824s - what to buy?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
jlaudon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I am done Done DONE with my Mackie hr824s - what to buy?

Post by jlaudon »

KS Digital C5
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

SixStringGeek wrote:OK so I went for the Q10s. Scored an open box deal from Equator at $599 each for a pair.
Sweet. As is beloved by six stringers everywhere, you can play music really loud now, too. :lol:

I'd love to have a pair of those.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

HCMarkus wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote:OK so I went for the Q10s. Scored an open box deal from Equator at $599 each for a pair.
Sweet. As is beloved by six stringers everywhere, you can play music really loud now, too. :lol:

I'd love to have a pair of those.
The arrived this morning and I just got them wired up and placed and ran the very impressive room calibration dance with them (interestingly at the mix position they came off needing almost nothing although I did a few different presets around the room and the worst was "sitting on the couch" which had a really big hump around 30Hz. I guess I need to get some traps in the corners.

I feel like I just got glasses for my ears. First thing I put on (Eat the Rich - Aerosmith) to hear em had my jaw on the floor at how much stuff I can hear and how accurately I can percieve its placement (yeah - I know its a cliche - everybody says that about new monitors). TBH I find them a little harsh at higher volumes so while I have heard their rep for "loud" I don't find them pleasing loud in the way that I find a guitar amp pleasing loud. They're not thumpy at all either.

Mid volumes though and I'm swaying like a cobra at the bazaar taking new delight in my music collection. Also - they are quite a bit larger and heavier than I expected and I was really afraid I'd way overdone it but after listening to them for a couple hours I don't feel that way anymore. They're really nice at sensible volumes about 5' away. And while switching from the Mackies to the Avantones always felt like just a little different bit brighter sound - switching from the Q10s to the Avantones is like going from a digital 3D color movie to 16mm black and white.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I am hoping for an invite to hear the new beasts Amigo.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

HCMarkus wrote:I am hoping for an invite to hear the new beasts Amigo.
You are welcome any time. :-) I also owe you and your lovely bride a dinner invite as our ladies seems to hit it off so well.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I treated my room (many, many different corners) with RealTraps for super tight bass and have five different sets of speakers to switch between. It's very revealing and comfortable. Multiple sets of speakers helps greatly.

Also, my favorite final mixing seat is 25' away from the speakers on the couch. Makes balancing things much easier.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com