I am done Done DONE with my Mackie hr824s - what to buy?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I am done Done DONE with my Mackie hr824s - what to buy?

Post by SixStringGeek »

I've done the room treatment dance - built about a dozen 4" absorber panels and put them behind and in front of the speakers in various places. Ran the FuzzMeasure room analysis software using a calibrated mic. Very measurable improvement in damping time and frequency response. And my mixes consistently surprise me when I play them outside the room. A lot.

So I'm looking for new speaks. I have been looking at Equator Q10s - they seem to be well spoken of. They would be complimenting my Avantones and my super crappy laptop extension speakers (for the ipod reference check) and used in a near field position about 6' from my head 2' from the treated wall. I have also heard about the D8's but I've got a line on an open box pair of Q10s for only a couple hundred $'s difference so I'm not really considering price as a factor. More interested in suitability. The room correction software feature is kind of attractive as well if it works.

Open to other suggestions in the general $1-1.5k per pair range. Also, anybody want a pair of Mackie hr824s (cheap)? :lol:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
bayswater

Re: I am done Done DONE with my Mackie hr824s - what to buy?

Post by bayswater »

The 824s are in your price range (not that you'd go out and buy another pair.) What is it you don't like about them? The thing I like about mine is that I never think about them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

bayswater wrote:The 824s are in your price range (not that you'd go out and buy another pair.) What is it you don't like about them? The thing I like about mine is that I never think about them.
That I am consistently surprised every time I take a mix out to play on something else. And not in a good way.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Interesting. I've sometimes been told my mixes have too much low end, and I've noticed that too when I play them on other speakers. I assumed it's my room. Is that what you're hearing?
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

bayswater wrote:Interesting. I've sometimes been told my mixes have too much low end, and I've noticed that too when I play them on other speakers. I assumed it's my room. Is that what you're hearing?
Yes - my mixes all sound "muddy" to varying degrees.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

i don't see how you can go wrong with either the D8 or Q10. Both are impressive. If you have the room--and it sounds like you--the Q10 should make you happy.

I'd use a subwoofer with the D8 like I currently do with my D5s. There's some wooliness near the bottom that a sub would clean up. When I pointed that out to Ted, he agreed with me and mentioned that rolling off the bottom for use with a good sub would allow increased output from the D8s as well. The price of a full-featured sub makes the D8 as expensive as the Q10 so there you go, right?

The only reason I have not upgraded my D5s is because I would have to redesign my work space to accomodate the larger boxes (it's that tight). Next year when I figure out how to get three 27" monitors on my desk, I'll make room for D8s. When I heard them at NAMM, I wanted to take them home.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Focal CMS 65's or if you have the cash, the ones above them in price. I have the CMS 65's and they're really quite clear, if something's mudding up a mix they catch it. For what it's worth I liked the sound of them better than the $2000 Genelecs I tried out, the Adams.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote:
bayswater wrote:Interesting. I've sometimes been told my mixes have too much low end, and I've noticed that too when I play them on other speakers. I assumed it's my room. Is that what you're hearing?
Yes - my mixes all sound "muddy" to varying degrees.
Well that's sort of what I'm hearing. Mixes sound OK on the Mackies, but a bit woofy or muddy on other speakers. But I guessed that was because the Mackies had a clean or tight bottom end compared to the other speakers I was listening to.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just two more cents on a large subject: JBL4326+sub has much control over bass and low mid. The JBL automatic room correction may take care of noticeable room mode, if any.

IMHO, a picky monitor calibration with good measure mics, SpectraFoo software, a calibrated hand held SPL soundmeter and a trustful parametric EQ has proved to be valuable in setting up my actual and previous studio monitoring systems.
The old rule will remain: Treat the room first...
BTW both near field response and listening position response are to be precisely evaluated. In case you don't, your mixes may translate in much erratic ways.
A dozen of well built music recordings may help to get an idea of what you hear, what you like and what others do.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

If I were looking, I'd check out the current JBL LSR series options. I've been pleased with the old LSR speakers for over a decade. Room correction software can sound weird but worth looking into. I'm using the old ARC system and it helps with my crappy room a lot.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

SixStringGeek wrote:
bayswater wrote:The 824s are in your price range (not that you'd go out and buy another pair.) What is it you don't like about them? The thing I like about mine is that I never think about them.
That I am consistently surprised every time I take a mix out to play on something else. And not in a good way.
When I was shopping for nearfields (way back when), I had some 824s on loan for about three weeks. I experienced the same thing. They just didn't translate well. I ended up getting the Adam A7s (which were a hot item at the time) with a sub. I'm happy with this setup, but if I were shopping today I might not go that route as there are many more options now. But, I agree with you about the 824s.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just as I got it: in JBL language, LSR stands for Linear Spatial Reference...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

OK so I went for the Q10s. Scored an open box deal from Equator at $599 each for a pair.

Time to put some stuff on eBay and craigslist.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

SixStringGeek wrote:OK so I went for the Q10s. Scored an open box deal from Equator at $599 each for a pair.
I think your going to love them I would never part with mine.
When you pull up one of your mixes you say had a bit of mud you'll be able to zero right in on the problem when you hear the Q10's
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SixStringGeek wrote:OK so I went for the Q10s. Scored an open box deal from Equator at $599 each for a pair.
I figured that's what you were looking at.

When I bought my D5s, they were open box bargains but one had an issue (hiss). Ted replaced it immediately and included a pre-paid return label so that I could return the defect ASAP. Excellent service.
Time to put some stuff on eBay and craigslist.
Yep, just because you no longer care for them doesn't mean that someone else won't love 'em especially if there's a bargain to be had.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro