Battery Into Reason Into DP

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Movies
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Battery Into Reason Into DP

Post by Movies »

I just upgraded to Reason 8 from Reason 5. The ability to route in external-MIDI devices seems really interesting. Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to input Native Instruments' Battery 4 into Reason for effects processing WHILE Reason is running in ReWire with DP 8 (where I do all of my sequence-programming).

Has anyone ever done this/is it possible?
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7/16GB, OSX 10.14.6, DP 10.1, MOTU 896mk3
philbrown

Re: Battery Into Reason Into DP

Post by philbrown »

Movies wrote:I just upgraded to Reason 8 from Reason 5. The ability to route in external-MIDI devices seems really interesting. Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to input Native Instruments' Battery 4 into Reason for effects processing WHILE Reason is running in ReWire with DP 8 (where I do all of my sequence-programming).

Has anyone ever done this/is it possible?
I probably can't help you, but in reading your question I can't tell if you mean MIDI, audio or both. When you say "input Native Instruments' Battery 4 into Reason" it's not clear (to me) specifically what and how you're routing.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Movies

Post by Movies »

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

This is my dream situation:

1. Open DP and then open Reason so it's running ReWire.
2. Create a stereo audio track in DP and route Reason into it.
3. Create an External MIDI instrument in Reason.
4. Add an instance of NI's Battery in DP as a stereo track.
5. Route the output of Battery INTO Reason via the External MIDI instrument which, in turn, will be routed into the stereo audio track in DP.

Does that make any more sense?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Looks like all you want to do is use Reason as an external effects processor for a track in DP? I do that using DSP-Q or Logic as the effects host, routing MIDI and Audio back and forth using DP's Interapplication MIDI and Soundflower. If I understand what you want to do, you don't even need the MIDI link, and timing and audio communication is handled by Rewire. And it looks like you've already figured out how to do it. Why not just try it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Movies wrote:Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

This is my dream situation:

1. Open DP and then open Reason so it's running ReWire.
2. Create a stereo audio track in DP and route Reason into it.
3. Create an External MIDI instrument in Reason.
4. Add an instance of NI's Battery in DP as a stereo track.
5. Route the output of Battery INTO Reason via the External MIDI instrument which, in turn, will be routed into the stereo audio track in DP.

Does that make any more sense?
I would:
Select an IAC bus as the MIDI output in Reason.
Create a MIDI track in DP, select the same MIDI input as the IAC bus you just assigned and set the output to Battery.

The IAC bus is still useful even when using Rewire.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Still seems to be confusing whether you want to route Battery's MIDI into Reason (in which case it would control ReDrum or other Reason sounds, but not provide audio for processing), or route the audio track into Reason for processing, which might require a different process.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I'm totally confused.

Movies

Post by Movies »

I'm sorry this got so confusing!

Put as simply as I can think to put it: Doing all of my actual sequencing in DP, I'd like to use effects from Reason (Distortion, EQ, etc) on sounds from Battery.