Best cloud backup service.

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best cloud backup service.

Post by cbergm7210 »

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
cbergm7210

Re: Best cloud backup service.

Post by cbergm7210 »

Okay, looks like not many opinions on these companies. :?

I am going to give CrashPlan a try. All my client's material is backed up double here plus Time Machine, but a cloud backup seems wise to add. At $9 / month for 10 computers unlimited it looks to be a prudent / inexpensive choice.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I'm using Cubby because the render farm I work with uses that - but I wouldn't recommend it. Cubby lacks a few basic functions (for example, to copy between your cloud folders, you need to download/re-upload your files) and their support/responsiveness is non-existent, they simply do not respond to their customers. I have heard consistently good things about Dropbox, but have not used them myself.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I'm trying out the CrashPlan family plan...seems pretty slick and easy, and cheap.

(It's telling me it'll take 42 days to upload all of my studio Mac Pro files, though.... :shock: )

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I want the one that is secure, hosted domestically and works like Time Machine so that I can just put it in rotation with my other TM backups.

I don't need it to be free but reasonably priced is a must. It doesn't need to be all that fast, either.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I use arq to Amazon's Glacier for my offsite backups. Works well for me and as I use Amazon Web Services for work things I'm comfortable with it.

I also run a local Time Capsule. TC gives me the immediacy of getting something I messed up back while Arq provides offsite protection in the event of on site calamity like my studio burning down. IOW, Arq is my last resort backup because Glacier - while cheap - has a retrieval time of a few hours.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.