Emulating Guitar Amp With Poor Power Supply

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Emulating Guitar Amp With Poor Power Supply

Post by bayswater »

I remember a lot of amps a long time ago that I think had inadequate power supplies that couldn't ramp up fast enough to produce a good attach at high volumes (slew rate?), or maybe they were Class B amps. One of the "effects" from this was a slow attack when drive and volume were both maxed out, something like a violin attack. I've tried compression with a very fast attack, and some waveshapers, but it's not quite the same as I remember.

Is there a plugin that simulates this well? Or an amp plugin that does it well?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Re: Emulating Guitar Amp With Poor Power Supply

Post by bayswater »

bump. I still hope to find out.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Eddie Van Halen was famous for running his Marshalls from a variax to lower the line voltage almost to the point of amp melt down. This was a key component of his "brown sound" which does not have a sharp attack. Marshall tube amps were essentially the tweed Bassman (much to Leo Fender's chagrin) a class B push-pull design.

If that's what you are looking for, you probably want to look for a decent plugin that emulates Eddie's vintage Marshall tone.

I tried a quick search and can't believe how many free amp emulators are out there for Windows. Over no idea if someone really offers what you are looking for.

Good luck!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I tried a zillion Line 6 patches and got nothing close. But with this, maybe I'll be able to narrow the search. I don't even remember what amp I was using. Probably Traynor, made locally around Toronto for a while until they put themselves out of business with design flaws.