Kontakt 5 update, argh, help? [Solved]

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Kontakt 5 update, argh, help? [Solved]

Post by BKK-OZ »

I stupidly (hindsight) used NI's service center to update to Kontakt 5.3.1.37, and it won't pass DP's AU validation. It isn't even working in stand-alone mode, or as a plugin within Maschine as a host.

I think it might be a database problem - it I try to rescan or update, I get an error message that says 'The database is read-only and cannot be changed'.

I have tried the Repair Permissions routine, I have re-installed from my K9 disks, and I have deleted K5 and run the updater through Service Center again.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am desperately trying to finish a project that uses just little bit of Kontakt, and this is really a pain in the...
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stubbsonic

Re: Kontakt 5 update, argh, help?

Post by stubbsonic »

Ouch! Maybe I'll hold off on updating Kontakt.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
BKK-OZ

Re: Kontakt 5 update, argh, help?

Post by BKK-OZ »

Hooray for me!

After much tussling with Mr Google and after having gone up a number of blind alleys, I have fixed the problem. As I suspected, there was some sort of problem with the Kontakt database. Maybe it was the install of the update thru the Service Center, maybe it was bad karma - I really don't know.

Here is what I did, in case someone else comes across a similar (dreaded '... database is read only...' error) problem:

1) *Navigate to >Library>Application Support>Native Instruments>Kontakt 5>Db
2) **Delete/move the files therein
3) Restart Kontakt (as a stand-alone application)
--3a-- Kontakt will rebuild its database (sorta)
4) ***In the Kontakt GUI, go to the Database tab, click on the options button
5) Ask Kontakt to Update the database (this might take a few minutes)
6) Close down Kontakt
7) Restart DP, if you asked DP to skip Kontakt during a previous failed scan, you might need to go to File>Preferences>Plugins and ask it to re-scan, otherwise
--7a-- DP will rescan Kontakt on opening

(8) Drink beer

*Note this isn't the library that you normally see. On Mac OS 10.7+ the Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Finder>Go holding down the Alt key (could be different depending on your keyboard). The real, super-secret Library entry will become visible in the drop-down menu. Select that option, then navigate to the Kontakt database (Db) folder.

**I simply moved out the files to another spot. On the Interwebbies, some say delete, some say delete and empty the trash, but all I did is move the files out of that directory.

***The Options button is near the top of the Kontakt GUI. It is also accessible through the Settings button (little cog wheel near the top right of the interface).

I hope these notes help out others who encounter the same/similar problem in the future.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stubbsonic

Re: Kontakt 5 update, argh, help? [Solved]

Post by stubbsonic »

Pasted your text in my DP & VI notes. Added it to the "How to prevent Kontakt from ignoring the instrument levels you set."
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
BKK-OZ

Re: Kontakt 5 update, argh, help? [Solved]

Post by BKK-OZ »

Step 8 is the most important.
:)
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku