your favorite delays?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

your favorite delays?

Post by philbrown »

I love delays. What are your favorites?

Soundtoys Echoboy is my go-to. Probably still haven't explored all the different combinations of modes and settings.

PSP 84 - great for weird and wonderful, ambient, spacey, filtered etc.
I'm not usually a preset guy but these are great.

Blue Tubes Oilcan echo - old school, gnarly, can get washy in a good way.

PSP Echo - just bought it. Sounds good but haven't really messed with it yet. The 608 I can't seem to get on with.

UA's Echoplex emulation - nice for some things but kind of hard to control.

For short delays - Schwa CMX (also has pitch shift) or UA's Cooper Time Cube which is strange but lovely and definitely has a character all its own!

On my live guitar pedalboard I have a Strymon El Capistan and a wet-dry gas pedal that I use with it constantly to mix the delay to taste. Also has a spring reverb feature and you can tap tempo with a foot switch. It's great.

My absolute favorite delay of all time is the Modcan delay I had in my modular synth system for a couple of years. They are hand made in Canada by a brilliant modular synth guy- Bruce Duncan. I made several videos showing its over-use in action. He now makes a dual version I have yet to hear.

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Re: your favorite delays?

Post by bayswater »

What Joe Walsh used on Asshton Park. Maybe you know what it was. Google can't seem to agree. I've tried to emulate it with various other devices, but never really capture it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It used to baffle me why some delays were given so much more love than others. After all, there doesn't seem to be anything especially baffling going on. Repeated signal, delay time, feedback, LPF.

With MOTU's built in delay, my only complaint was that the wet/dry mix didn't have enough resolution, so I can't set it where I want it as an insert; requiring me to use it as an aux effect (which is fine).

With peoples' favorites, I'd be curious to know what obvious engine features are included (e.g., pitch mod/modulate-able delay time, cross feedback, etc.) and what about the interface/workflow is appreciated.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:What Joe Walsh used on Asshton Park. Maybe you know what it was. Google can't seem to agree. I've tried to emulate it with various other devices, but never really capture it.
Listening to the decay it sounds like a BBD delay. BBD = Bucket Brigade Device. It was solid state chip that by its nature would deteriorate the audio with every repeat, and usually the longer the delay the worse the fidelity. Common in older delay pedals. Like many things, what was once undesirable is now being emulated/recreated for our audio amusement.
stubbsonic wrote:It used to baffle me why some delays were given so much more love than others. After all, there doesn't seem to be anything especially baffling going on. Repeated signal, delay time, feedback, LPF.

With MOTU's built in delay, my only complaint was that the wet/dry mix didn't have enough resolution, so I can't set it where I want it as an insert; requiring me to use it as an aux effect (which is fine).

With peoples' favorites, I'd be curious to know what obvious engine features are included (e.g., pitch mod/modulate-able delay time, cross feedback, etc.) and what about the interface/workflow is appreciated.
Well I would liken the comparison to MOTU's dynamics plug vs a good Fairchild emulation. They are going for two different things entirely. One utilitarian, one all about vibe and character.

Using Echoboy as an example they are emulating a lot of things besides a delayed audio signal, e.g. tape emulation, including wow and flutter, tape age, placement of tape heads etc, BBD emulation (as above), digital delay emulation and even stranger technologies like UA's Cooper Time Cube (google it- its fascinating). They each have a different vibe just like compressors, EQ's, mic pre's etc. As in a lot of the audio world the non-linearities and quirks add charm/character vs a pristeen perfect delayed signal.

For modulation you can go downright crazy with PSP 42 and 85- WAY beyond a simple delay. Download a demo from PSP and just try the presets- I think you'll instantly see what I mean. Echoboy also will do sequenced rhythmic delays, ping-pong and more. UA's emulations like the Roland Space Echo and Echoplex try to emulate the whole unit including the audio circuit's contribution to the sound, but in the interest of exact emulation of the original hardware, both in sound and GUI, they tend to lack modern features like tap tempo or the ability to enter exact millisecond times.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:What Joe Walsh used on Asshton Park. Maybe you know what it was. Google can't seem to agree. I've tried to emulate it with various other devices, but never really capture it.
OK google is telling me he used an Echoplex and google knows stuff. If so, then it may have had old tape/dirty heads/magnetized heads and any combination of those would contribute to the muddy delay repeats. The tape ran all the time on those things so tape wear etc was very much a factor. There's not 'one' Echoplex sound as there are so many factors involved. There's also the aspect of- was it in the front end of a guitar amp or was it used as a studio insert- that sort of thing.

I still think it sounds more like a BBD pedal, but that sound could be approached from a couple of different ways as far as emulation.

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

If I could only use one company's delays, it would be PSP. Love the 42/84 (haven't updated to the 85 yet). The 608 is quite cool, too.

I must say, this freebee is quite unique sounding to me and I think it's great at what it does. The GUI may not be fancy, but the sound is very cool for certain extreme effects (that's the way I use it, anyway).

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallafreqecho
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

philbrown wrote:
Well I would liken the comparison to MOTU's dynamics plug vs a good Fairchild emulation. They are going for two different things entirely. One utilitarian, one all about vibe and character.

They each have a different vibe just like compressors, EQ's, mic pre's etc. As in a lot of the audio world the non-linearities and quirks add charm/character vs a pristeen perfect delayed signal.

Thanks for that comparison. I just didn't know if there were other factors besides general "character" (distortion, wow, flutter, band-pass, etc.)

Most of my use of delays has been pretty "utilitarian" and infrequent, in the sense of wanting specific times & panning, but I've not paid any attention to "character" stuff in delays over the years. I suppose as a cheap workaround, I could take the delay out through some other "character builders" I have like Magnetic II or some other tube/tape things.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:
OK google is telling me he used an Echoplex and google knows stuff. If so, then it may have had old tape/dirty heads/magnetized heads and any combination of those would contribute to the muddy delay repeats. The tape ran all the time on those things so tape wear etc was very much a factor. There's not 'one' Echoplex sound as there are so many factors involved. There's also the aspect of- was it in the front end of a guitar amp or was it used as a studio insert- that sort of thing.

I still think it sounds more like a BBD pedal, but that sound could be approached from a couple of different ways as far as emulation.
Yes, I saw that, but I also saw equally adamant claims that it was several other things, including an Eventide or a Lexicon. Someone said it is the same as the delay James May used but that sounds a lot cheesier to me. I've tried echoplex emulators and they don't really come any closer than something as simple as the delay on the POD 2, or the Digitech S-100. When you say "BBD Pedal" are you talking about a specific branded piece of equipment, or any delay pedal with a BBD chip in it?

I suspect it was a front end of an amp -- I saw him in a small hockey arena in Kitchener on a James Gang tour, and it seemed to be some part of the setup.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

You might find some interesting delays listed in this topic.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I wore out a Roland Space Echo in the late 70's/early 80's.

NI's Space Echo emulation is actually pretty nice (in Guitar Rig).

Wave's H-Delay is a lot of fun and versatile, and I've also had fun with the Manny Marroquin Delay module. Both worth a serious look, and Waves has had some good sales lately.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:When you say "BBD Pedal" are you talking about a specific branded piece of equipment, or any delay pedal with a BBD chip in it?
Nothing specific, and I'm no expert, but I've heard several BBD-based delays and owned one in the modular synth world and they tend to have that sound. Who knows though as far as Ashton Park, I could be completely wrong and probably am!
Tobor wrote: NI's Space Echo emulation is actually pretty nice (in Guitar Rig).
Cool, something to try that I already own! I haven't messed with GR much.