MOTU 8 PRE & SPL MIxDream and LOgic

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Tim Muddiman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 8 PRE & SPL MIxDream and LOgic

Post by Tim Muddiman »

Hello all..

I am seriously considering buying an SPL Mixdream XP for Summing Mixing.

First of all has anyone used an Motu 8 pre in conjunction with an spl mixdream ??
(I use Logic x as my DAW)

I'd love to hear general opinions of what one can achieve over just mixing in the box.?

I'd also love to know if anyone knows how the hell I'd have to wire it up?! that bit i'm really stuck on.. Hence. Being here.

Thanks in advance

Tim Muddiman
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 8 PRE & SPL MIxDream and LOgic

Post by 4stripes »

What are you going to sum with an 8pre, it only has two outputs! Doesn't make sense for 'summing.' You need more outputs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

how the hell I'd have to wire it up?! that bit i'm really stuck on.
an 8pre, it only has two outputs!
Yea, there's no workaround for that. You will need another interface to give you 8 outputs to put into the SPL MIxDream so that you can route them back to the 8pre. The 828mkIII Hybrid or 828x will work nicely - in fact, you don't need the 8pre if you have one of those.

As to analog summing. I make great sounding mixes without doing this. I have a perfectly nice Mackie desk on a shelf if I ever wanted to go that route - which I don't unless a client insists (and then I am quite happy to charge them for the extra time and use of the additional gear).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

The MixDream is a 16x2 mixer, so if you want to use it properly, you need a minimum 16 out interface.

If you have faith in summing, the theory goes you should sum as many analog paths as possible, the more the merrier. Anything less than 8 in my estimation would not be worthwhile.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

4stripes wrote:The MixDream is a 16x2 mixer, so if you want to use it properly, you need a minimum 16 out interface.

If you have faith in summing, the theory goes you should sum as many analog paths as possible, the more the merrier. Anything less than 8 in my estimation would not be worthwhile.
Agreed but, when the OP mentioned the 8pre, I assumed 8 tracks. Hmmmm... did I assume too much?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Analog summing is one of those things - sounds great if the source material sounds great. How great does any source material sound? As great as the converters used before the summing stage.

So, unless you have 16 outstanding Digital-to-Analog converters, you are better off mixing in the box. I'd always suggest, spend the money on your monitoring instead, so you can hear what you're doing: on room treatment, on speakers, on D-A converters. I wouldn't worry about analog summing while monitoring thru an 8-Pre's converters. They're good for the price, but not as good as the main D-A should be when you're stepping into the land of worrying about analog summing.

In other words, I'd say make sure your prescription glasses are top-notch before fine-tuning the image. :D

For an instant "analog summing" effect at a fraction of the cost, try Slate Digital's VCC.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers