Motu 828mkIII output level, +4dBu vs -10dBV

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
TauTau
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 828mkIII output level, +4dBu vs -10dBV

Post by TauTau »

Hi,

I'm using a 828mk3 for InEar monitoring, and as output for Loops and stuff from R.e.a.p.e.r.
Lately I had the first gig with the unit (before I had a 828mkII), and the mixer-guy found my levels from the 828mk3 way too hot (given, he didn't find the -20db pad buttons on the desk new to him ;)).
Since I therefor had to lower all output levels inside R.e.a.p.e.r., and that ended up in also the level to our InEar monitoring being too low, I thought about the 828mk3's outputs. Is there no way to put them in -10dBV mode? From what I've read they seem to be at +4dBu by default (which is nice for studio use probably).

Edit: Had to change Reaper to R.e.a.p.e.r. ;)
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu 828mkIII output level, +4dBu vs -10dBV

Post by NazRat »

You need to create a mix in CueMix FX or dial one in if you want control over your outputs. I don't have my 828mkII in front of me right now, but I believe that you can only set the inputs +4/-10. The outputs are always +4. On the mk3 you can trim the inputs using the front dials or CueMix, but there is no +4/-10 setting ala the mkII. You can use the mix buses to create separate mixes for the mains and phones.

Or you can create a phones mix in your DAW and send it to a different output pair.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
TauTau

Post by TauTau »

I have created mixes in CueMix, that's the whole deal of the device why I use it for InEar: I can create 4/5 different mixes (mk2/mk3). However, I couldn't find a output control per output pair in CueMix besides the Monitor control (that I don't use)
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Sorry I don't have the unit handy right now, but are you saying that the mix bus master is not controlling the output levels? Someone else who runs it live is more equipped to answer or give MOTU a call. They're always very helpful.
TauTau

Post by TauTau »

ok, I played around with it a bit and found this:

The output control, that CueMix has for each output pair, only influences the mix that you make *within* Cuemix. So what I can control is how loud each of the INs is on a specific out. What I *can't* control, is the level that comes from the PC.
Our setup is like this: We have some tracks in Reaper with loops etc. Part of this goes to the main-out's of the 828 plus to all analogue pairs, and part goes only to all analogue pairs.
So when the mixer complains that everything is too loud, I have to turn down outputs in Reaper. I only found a volume control for main and phones, but only on the 828 itself...
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

On the outputs tab, at the bottom you can select the monitor button for an output pair. If you select them all, I believe the volume control will bring all selected up and down. Any help?
TauTau

Post by TauTau »

it will move all volumes, that's right... but still, that Volume only does impact the inputs within CueMix, not whats coming from the computer... Problem here obviously is, that I have a Mix of signals from Computer and from inputs