OMG RX3's Denoiser is a truly magical bit of kit

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OMG RX3's Denoiser is a truly magical bit of kit

Post by SixStringGeek »

Ive got this nice guitar track I recorded with my telecaster (single coils) that had a background hum in it that was super annoying. Gating helped but still when the signal fell below the noise level it was still pretty noticeable.

I just tried RX3's denoiser on it using a nice healthy bit of pre-roll noise as its noise model and holy cow it just came out squeaky clean and no loss of brightness. I don't know how it works, but I like it!
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OMG RX3's Denoiser is a truly magical bit of kit

Post by mikehalloran »

I know what you mean. I used RX 2 to clean up a cassette that a friend sent me in 1989. I did this on a lark to try it out. There was tape his, 60 cycle hum with multiple harmonics and outside noises. It was recorded by hanging a couple of mics in a living room directly to cassette - I was working from a copy and the original was lost.

It came out so well that I used Ozone 4 to turn it into a CD quality master in DP 7.24.

Shortly after that first run, I re-did it in RX3 and Ozone 5 in DP 8 as my first project after upgrading all three.

RX 3 is much easier to use as a plug in DP due to its lower tax on the CPU and slightly redesigned interface. That plus a couple of new features made the upgrade worth if for me. I noticed no audible difference between 2 and 3 in similar tasks.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro