When I was young...

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
MixermanMikey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

When I was young...

Post by MixermanMikey »

Just throwing this at the wall...

In my early days of recording, I was concerned about stringent isolation. It even bothered me to hear a hat through the snare mic. Don't even get me started about a guitar through the drum overheads.

Now, and the case for the past two decades +, I just want the performance. It seems that the best way to get that is by having everyone in the same room, set up a couple of wedges and say "GO!"

They both have their benefits. I was wondering what folks are doing these days since I've not really done much serious recording for the past 10 years or so. Live or Memorex?

Mikey
No turntables and two microphones!
wylie1

Re: When I was young...

Post by wylie1 »

For me having everyone in the same room is the only way to go.
Guitar amps need to be totally isolated you don't want any instruments bleeding onto drums if you have to edit later you'll be in trouble.
I normally track drums, guitars, keys and a vocal if needed for reference, horns and everything else later.
Sometimes I get a little vocal bleed onto the overheads but as long as the final vocal track doesn't change to much its not a big deal.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For me, the most important part of the signal chain is a good sounding room. Always has been.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I like having someone else worry about the room and the recording whenever possible. I want 100% of my brain on the music.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MixermanMikey

Post by MixermanMikey »

AMEN to good sounding rooms!
No turntables and two microphones!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I almost always have everything possible live in the same room, either for acoustic bands or loud rock bands. I have made some charting records done that way, with live vocals cut at the same time. I say do it. It just changes the working method, and the list of allowable shortcuts and tradeoffs, alters the way you do edits.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing