Anyone exploring the new version of Lemur?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone exploring the new version of Lemur?

Post by BKK-OZ »

From the Lemur website:

Lemur, the professional iOS controller app that doesn't cut any corners, has evolved. Now easier to use than ever, more customisable and with more out-of-the-box functionality. Any software or hardware that receives MIDI or OSC can be controlled by Lemur. Control DJ software, live electronic music performance software, studio production software (DAWs), VJ software, visual synthesis software, stage lighting and more.

From Create Digital Music:

Even before the world had seen the iPad, the promise of Lemur was a touchable interface that could become anything – a Star Trek-like world in which you could touch fluid controls directly to make live music and visuals.

The reality, though, was more limited. Users were limited to a library of widgets. That included useful controls, like knobs, faders, and even more far-out physics-enabled X/Y pads, buct widgets, nonetheless.

A major update to Lemur this week blows that wide open, in two ways. First, it overhauls how sequencing works, with both tighter timing and new objects, ideal for use with MIDI gadgets. Second, it has a widget interface that can become just about anything.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Prime Mover

Re: Anyone exploring the new version of Lemur?

Post by Prime Mover »

Woah, I didn't know about this. I've been using TouchOSC for live Max/MSP control, I really should have been using this! I wonder if it would be see less as a controller for DP8... Probably not, but I'm curious.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not bad for $24.95. I don't really have a use for it but if I need a new toy, I might plunk down the $$. I like that it works on iOS 5. I still have a 1st gen iPad that isn't getting much use nowadays.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Ok, the race is on then! (Not with me though - bit busy on other things at the moment.) Who will be first to get it going with DP?

I had a look through the available templates, none for DP or any of the VI's that I use (lots for Ableton, Max, etc.).

I think that they would see an explosion of interest if they set up a marketplace so that users could sell their templates - I would happily pay another $5 or so for a DP set-up. I just don't have the time or the interest to set up my own and if people had even a modest incentive, I reckon that there would be a lot of activity.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

So.... anyone have a play yet?
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Should point out that for basic control surface functions with an iPad, there is a free version of Neyrinck V-Control that does multitouch mixer and basic transport control for DP (and pretty much every other DAW). Works great.

Strongly considering Lemur as a CC controller though.