recording digital piano to ipad

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mek
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

recording digital piano to ipad

Post by mek »

My previous wall of text vanished when site asked me to log in again.. so heres the condensed version.
roland fp3, line out to ipad. tip ring dual 1/4 inch to 3.5 nothing. then got the 4 pole 3.5 adapter, nothing.
then got my old ultralite, pumped gain and mic input. Got signal from piano, got headphone out and main out working on ultralite. GOOD right? nope, when take tip ring main out from ultralite to 3.5 adapter to ipad headphone jack , STILL no signal.

dont know what i overlooked if anything?would prefer NOT to go lighting route<expense>
cant understand how Im not getting audio signal thru ipad headphone jack which is supposedly audio in also>?

do not want to go mic route as is inferior for elec piano and expensive. I just want line out audio signal from elec piano to ipad.
I wanna make quick video with nice direct audio coming from pain.
thankyou.
wylie1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: recording digital piano to ipad

Post by wylie1 »

An iPad won't accept a direct line in you need a converter like this http://tascam.com/product/ixz/
I have an iRig it works good but I never use it.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, I think there were quite a few misleading things floating around that an iPad had an analog input with its headphone jack.

There are ways to get audio in. If you don't mind using your computer, you can use bluetooth from your computer to your iPad (see Apollo app). If you happen to have a class-compliant USB audio interface, you might be able to connect it (either directly or through a powered hub). I realized that I could use my Zoom H2N to bring audio into my iPad 4.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mek

Post by mek »

ty for replies. I should mention this is the ipad mini with retina, so 4th gen which makes it all the more fun coming up with a 3rd party solution.
Was considering this product
http://tascam.com/product/ixj2/specifications/

I am surprised there isnt a solution that can utilize the MOTU ultralite? As i said, i do have signal running through it from the FP3 piano.which allows control of input,gain, level etc. Even if i had to get an adapter to lightning connector, i would prefer that to another piece of equipment like the above.

Does such a solution exist as far as anyone knows?
I know this is a bit of a pain as the piano ROland fp3 is at least 10 years old and my ultralite is from circa 2007 which is I believe the mk1.
ty again for replies.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. would prefer NOT to go lighting route<expense>

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iXZ/

With this, you need to make sure that it works with the Apple lightening adapter. Some do; others don't.
http://tascam.com/product/ixj2/specifications/

I use a keyboard that accesses the GarageBand internal sounds. It works better through the lightening adapter into my iPad Air than it does in my 1st gen iPad. I also like the fact that the 49 key version weighs less than 6lb. Guitar Center apparently has the killer deal at $150 less than I paid for mine:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Mobi ... 3625727881
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

If it was me just looking for a simple input device I go for the iXZ
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Guys, if you don't mind my asking, why would you want to record a piano into an iPad??

And once you record it, then what? You don't sequence in there, do you?

What are you doing this for? I'm very curious, as I mostly use my iPad to read, and I definitely feel I'm underusing it.

What can you do in the iPad that you record in there instead of a computer? Wouldn't a small laptop be a million times more powerful and easier to operate? Is this for some kind of live gig?

Sorry about my lack of imagination for this, but my iPad is more like an electronic book. Am I missing something useful or cool that I should know about?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Not sure about that one ether although I do use iRig once in a while other than that my iPad is use for Email and reading.
One thing I have use for quick mobile and is sitting on a tripod in the studio recording sessions so nothing gets missed is one of these.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q2HD/
Great low light vid and handles high SPL really well and having the audio and vid as a reference later on is great.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There are a few suggestions on here that won't work for the OP's original need.

The iXZ won't work because it assumes an analog input in the headphone jack (iphone only?)

The iXJ2 has a 30 pin connector (so you'd need a lightning adapter for $30!)- that might be a workable solution, though.

The Zoom Q2HD is cool (MID-SIDE MIC! YAY!) but it doesn't have a mic/line input.

BTW, I have a Griffin Studio Connect, but I'm reluctant to recommend it. So far it has been wonky, and adds little clicks & pops into the audio out when running BIAS and some synths.

Roland makes the duo capture ex which might do what you need, but not cheaply.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The iXZ won't work because it assumes an analog input in the headphone jack (iphone only?)
There are many preamps that work through the headphone jack into an iPad. Lots of reviews saying that they work.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Guys, if you don't mind my asking, why would you want to record a piano into an iPad??

And once you record it, then what? You don't sequence in there, do you?
Lots of people do.

I use my iPad with my Line6 Mobile Keys as a live rig with my oldies band, running the audio into an amp or PA. The piano and organ sounds in GarageBand are quite serviceable.

Normally, I play bass by tapping on the screen but I could use the keyboard for that, too.

This is from a Halloween party in 2012. I'm tapping on the glass playing bass with my Line6 plugged in for when I play keys. Unlike so many rock keyboardists, I only have one hand to play.

mek

Post by mek »

thanks for the replies folks.
As to why? well i thought that the ipad would be a quick and easy way to make vids of me playing classical piano pieces so i can hear what i do and upload to youtube. I figured just run the audio from my piano in lieu of the built in mic and i would have nice clear line in audio with the video.
never thought it would be such a pita, but then again... apple.. you know?

SO being a stupid human, i overlooked the obvious. just run to my regular laptop. <windows>
low and behold,audacity, which i never tried, got me a signal, super hot, figured out how to turn everything down, and there it is, lovely clean stereo direct from the electric piano.
I didnt get a chance to really explore after that, but windows movie maker has at the least webcam video which im sure is not terribly difficult to mate to the audacity sound file. we will see.

You guys gave me alot of nice other options which I appreciate. thanks again.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: There are many preamps that work through the headphone jack into an iPad. Lots of reviews saying that they work.
Yea, I've seen those reviews, and I've seen others saying they don't work. Perhaps the iPad 1st-Gen's had that? Or perhaps these were all in reference to iPhones & iPod-Touches? I was not able to get that to work on either the iPad2 or iPad4. Apparently neither have that type of connector (4 conductor 3.5mm headphone combo jack).

I would love for someone to correct me on this, but I have tried it with a special cable and there is no signal.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would certainly verify whether it works or not by calling a reseller such as Sweetwater who has hands-on experience with such beasties.

There are interfaces that work with the iPad 4 and Air. It would be nice to have a source or web site where someone has actually tested these for compatibility. It's quite possible that the lightening port is the only reliable way - but that's not what some of the manufacturers are saying.

I've no oar in the water here. Although I've two iPads, I'm using my Line6 to generate sounds from GarageBand. There's also a USB port so it's now the MIDI controller for my Mac (real keyboard players will likely want a better feeling board but its fine for me). It works ok through the 30pin but you have to disconnect and reconnect if the iPad goes to sleep. On my iPad air through the lightening adapter, this issue is gone. :dance:

Although Line6 had the Mobile Keys at NAMM, there are no recent updates on their site incl info that it works with the adapter. That plus the blowout price at GC tells me that it's being discontinued. Will a new version replace it? I don't know. My daughter really likes mine and has a b'day coming up. $49 at GC? - oh yea, I'm getting another before it becomes a MF Stupid Deal and they're all gone.