Marshall Hiss

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
studioprez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Marshall Hiss

Post by studioprez »

I saw roll out of that guitar, I think it was Gibson. The things completely digital so it can go straight into a DAW, play MIDI, all kinds of weird stuff. I have no idea how it sounds. - BEN
Ben Wortham
Cedar Break Recording Studio
G5 dual 2.5
DP4.12
2408mkII
Timepiece AV
wylie

Post by wylie »

I have some time next week I'm going to see if I can find one somewhere and check it out, just curious, I don't see anything on Gibson's site about them,I shouldn't have gone there now I want a new guitar.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Originally posted by wylie:
Thanx allot guys.

Hey 666 that link you posted at the bottom says.

The most recent development in pickups are the new optical pickups. They actually use a laser that is directed onto the string. When the string moves, the laser can detect the amount of movement and translate it to a current. This completely eliminates all unwanted noise that even magnets have.
This sounds interesting, I'm curious are these out? have you seen or heard any in use? I can't imagine they'd be very warm sounding.
Wylie,

I have no idea what they're like. The concept of an optical pickup is very intriguing. I'd be happy to have a hum-free guitar. However, magnetic pickups contribute to the overall sound of a guitar. They have a character of their own. If one could program an EQ curve that would simulate different kinds of pickups, it could be very cool. I suppose it would be similar to using plug-ins that simulate classic hardware. Think of the possibilities: One pickup could be programmed to simulate any kind of pickup you want. Just flip a switch and your sound can completely change from song to song. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It's time to do a Google search. For all I know, these could already be in stock at Guitar Center.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
wylie

Post by wylie »

666, your right thats what I meant about warmth, I've got allot a miles on my old axe other than picking up an acoustic once in awhile I'm not about to put it down.
*intriguing* to say least let me know if you find one and I'll do the same.

<small>[ November 12, 2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: wylie ]</small>
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Wylie,

I haven't checked out these websites yet but I found two links:

http://www.lightwave-systems.com/

http://www.opticalguitars.com/
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Alejandro
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Alejandro »

First of all, do you hear the hiss on your marshall "Directly" or before your Pre-Mic-Trim-Fader etc...? You told JCM-800, which guitar are you using? EQ? effects? Digital Effects? No effects? Plug-in Directly? Good cables? Is the player in the same room as your Marshall? A good trick is live the amp in the recording room and put the player in control room. Is the master-gain too loud? In this case you should close your trim to zero...hmm, put that pot down a little and increase your pre-trim as loud before clipping. What about mics? positions (Near Axe, Room Mic) Check phases... And use good mics. I use Shure SM-57 on axes, and a Neuman U-87 around 1.5 and 2.0 meters at 1,5 meter from floor, but this depends on the sound you're looking for. Finally, in case you couldn‘t make what you want it you can use a good plug-in to "clean the dirt" like Spark De-Noise or Waves De-Noise, but watch out with this, you can clean too much. The process with plug-ins is simple, take a "Sample of the Noise only" and try reducing the threshold so that the sound apperently dissappear. Check the monitor and look that you aren‘t cleaning guitar parts too, in these case increase the threshold, It isn‘t the best solution, but sometimes fix that kind of noises

<small>[ December 16, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Alejandro ]</small>
tfillingi

Post by tfillingi »

HI,
I use a mesa boogie studio caliber 30 watt amp and a les paul gold top for recording.
Great sound, will rock!!! Very Silky sustain
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Hey tfillingi! :)
Nice Combo m8!!!
30 watts is just what we need. I used my VOX AC-30 also 30 rms. Is not a Mesa, but it's a VOX. I use also a Fender Twin reverb and a Marshall JCM-900 that is the last on my list. On Guitars I have a Grestch, a Yamaha SG-2500, a Fender telecaster ‘62 and a Roland G-707 only to take me some shoots for my cover albums, Je Je! :D