Length of audio cable from interface to speakers?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Length of audio cable from interface to speakers?

Post by artfarm1 »

I'm changing my studio setup a bit, and I want to move my MOTU Traveler from being in the centre of the speakers off to one side of me.

So, I have to use longer audio cable going from the Traveler to my powered speakers.

I've been using balanced 1/4" (from Traveler) to TRS inputs on my speakers. The cable have been old Monster cables, 3 feet long, about 20 years old.

How long of a cable can I use from my Traveler to my speakers without having to worry about any audio degradation or anything?

(editing: XLR inputs on my powered monitors)

Thanks all!
Last edited by artfarm1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Length of audio cable from interface to speakers?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

XLRs?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Right! sorry.... yes, XLR inputs on my speakers.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If the cable is balanced (TRS to XLR) you can have long runs without degradation. You could probably do 50' or more; 10-20' is no problem.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Thanks for the info. Wanted to check in with some 'real world' people!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

artfarm1 wrote:ThWanted to check in with some 'real world' people!
My world never seems real, I answered anyway. :) Glad to be if assistance.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

In broadcast you start to pay attention at hundreds of feet, worry more at thousands of feet.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

50ft? try 500ft!

Think about it, the average hall has hardwired XLR running from the edge of the stage to the sound booth, usually in the very back of the hall about a floor or two up. 1000ft probably isn't uncommon. If you understand the physics behind balanced signal, you can basically get the idea that a cable can run virtually infinitely without collecting noise. The bigger problem is with extremely long runs you start to lose power and require additional amplification, which might introduce more noise.

In fact, I'm not sure how external noise could even be a factor in balanced cabling at any length. The two poles cancel out, and they're extremely close in proximity, the phase difference between them would be incredibly small (we're talking speed of light here, too). One thing I could imagine is that inconsistencies in the copper wire (thickness, oxidization, density) might edge one pole over another, not completely canceling out the noise. That's the only explanation I can come up with as to why super long runs would start to develop noise.

But trust me, in any house... hell, even in Bill Gates' house, you're going to be fine.

Don't worry about powered speaker cable either, btw. I made that mistake before and I feel like an idiot when I thought about it. At about 10000x the voltage of mic level, noise just isn't an issue. Balanced speaker cable is a joke. Even line level is pretty hardy, at many magnitudes that of mic level, no reason to worry about balanced line level patch cables for short runs. Instrument level (ambiguous, very low line level) starts to be a concern. I like to keep passive guitar/bass runs as short as possible, usually from the instrument to a DI (or amp) at the floor.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy