Audio Interface

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bcwbrian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio Interface

Post by bcwbrian »

Hi. I was hoping to improve the overall audio quality of my home studio. I am currently running a Mackie 1202 mixer directly into my computer without an audio interface such as MOTU's 828. How does the final sound quality (on a CD) compare when using something like the 828? Will the Mackie mixer still be beneficial to me if I purchased an audio interface?

Thanks,

Brian
Siryne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Interface

Post by Siryne »

Your audio quality depends on many things so an accurte answer could depend on many things. One very important one is the quality of your A/D conversion. A good audio interface with good converters will have a marked improvement on your audio. It must also be said that that answer will still depend on what you are doing with the audio before it reaches the interface ie: preamps, mics, cables ect.

As to the mackie board, ther are a myriad of studio tasks that that kind of board can serve. Summing keys, headphone summing of singnals and efx w/o latency problems. It is most likely worth more for the tasks it can be usefull for than what it may be worth on the used market. IMHO
Peace!
Mac Pro Quad "Nehalem" Xeon 2.93 Ghz-12GB RAM - OS 10.6.4-DP 7.21- & Logic 9.1.3 - MOTU 896HD- Apogee Big Ben-Tascam US2400-UAD2 Duo-Altiverb 6-Melodyne Editor-Autotune Evo-Plugins from UAD, URS, PSP, Abbey Road, Flux-VI's- LASS-EWQLSO-VSL-Kirk Hunter VS Pro-Kontakt 4 -Manley Voxbox, Brauner VM1, Soundelux E47C & much more.