Need Power Chord For Avalon VT 737 SP

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
HotShot
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Need Power Chord For Avalon VT 737 SP

Post by HotShot »

Hi all:

I really hope someone can help me here.

I recently purchased one of these units used from EBay for $1700. It was supposed to include the power chord, but the unit arrived today with no power chord. Needless to say I'm trying to resolve this matter ASAP with the seller. In the mean time, I'm wondering if I can use a power chord for other gear I have to power the preamp.

I really don't know about electronic things, but I do know I don't want to ruin such and expensive piece of gear by using the wrong power chord and resultingly burning something up inside the unit.

I have some power chords around the house that go to other gear such as Numark DJ gear, old computers, old printers and such that have a similar power chord connectivity. On one of these chords, the female end of the power chord which will fit on the back of the Avalon Preamp, has written on the female end "1250W and 10A-125V." The power connector on the Avalon says "AC Input 50/60 Hz 75 Watts." Can I use that chord to power the Avalon?

I don't want to connect one of these spare power cables to the Avalon and fry something. I would be heart broken. I need to test the functionality of the unit and make sure it is working correctly. The seller said he only used the unit 5 times, and the appearance of the unit is good, so I would like to keep it, if it's functioning good.

What can I do for a power cable for this Avalon PreAmp?

Please help?
May a song always touch you in a possitive way!
SONAR X1a Producer
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MOTU UltraLite MK3, Delta 1010LT, KeyStation Pro 88, Shure KSM27, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, 160GB, 350 GB 7200rpm HDDs, QSC K12s, Numark DDS80
4stripes

Re: Need Power Chord For Avalon VT 737 SP

Post by 4stripes »

Here you go!

Maybe you should post some pictures. Power c-o-r-d-s are generally pretty standard objects and are rarely custom.

Update: I just looked on the back of the Avalon. That's an IEC cord, the most common power cord in the universe. I wouldn't hassle the seller with this, he'll think you're crazy.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Yep... IEC is a very standard cord. There used on virtually every piece of modern electronic gear that doesn't have an inline or wall-wart external transformer. I have a box full of the things acquired over the years. It's also a VERY good idea to have spares with you. You'd be surprised that these things get lost and you're virtually dead in the water without one. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:Yep... IEC is a very standard cord. There used on virtually every piece of modern electronic gear that doesn't have an inline or wall-wart external transformer. I have a box full of the things acquired over the years. It's also a VERY good idea to have spares with you. You'd be surprised that these things get lost and you're virtually dead in the water without one. :)
If it looks like this, you are good to go in the USA.

With the power requirements as stated, other country plugs will terminate differently but the box end will be the same.

BTW, these are available in other lengths besides 6'. I once bought a box of 12' cables from a local surplus outfit. Very handy as are the 18" ones that come with HP printers. I like the ones with angled plugs, too.

These guys have them as long at 50' and terminated for many countries.
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/ ... -cords.php
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:These guys have them as long at 50' and terminated for many countries.
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/ ... -cords.php
At first my brain was hurting trying to imagine when I'd need a 50' IEC cord. Then I realized I'm thinking of having a pedal board built that will have a recessed IEC socket on the side. Having a long IEC cord would make for a neat run from the back or side of the stage that would be easy to tape down without a lump in it where your typical 6' cord is attached to an extension cord. A 25-footer would probably be more than enough in most situations.

Thanks for sharing this, Mike! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My Carvin, Mesa and GK bass amps all have IEC chords. I learned the value of 12' and 25' cables early on.

The short ones eliminate clutter.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HotShot

Post by HotShot »

Thank you all for replying!

I called Avalon Design and they informed me that I could used any power chord similar to the one shown in the pic posted by mikehalloran.

I'm keeping the unit, it's in good working order. The seller forgot to place the power chord in the box, and the only other thing that was wrong was that the two VU meter bulbs were out.

I'm gonna get the operations manual ($10), replacement bulbs (both for $10 or less), and replacement tubes ($80) from Avalon, to make sure I get the most out of the gear. :)

Thank you all for the help!
May a song always touch you in a possitive way!
SONAR X1a Producer
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MOTU UltraLite MK3, Delta 1010LT, KeyStation Pro 88, Shure KSM27, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, 160GB, 350 GB 7200rpm HDDs, QSC K12s, Numark DDS80
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

James Steele wrote: At first my brain was hurting trying to imagine when I'd need a 50' IEC cord. Then I realized I'm thinking of having a pedal board built that will have a recessed IEC socket on the side. Having a long IEC cord would make for a neat run from the back or side of the stage that would be easy to tape down without a lump in it where your typical 6' cord is attached to an extension cord. A 25-footer would probably be more than enough in most situations.

Thanks for sharing this, Mike! :)
I bought a 20 ft for this same reason. Really handy for a pedal board at just about any gig. Always nice to have a few longer IEC's for studio wiring, like 10-12 ft. I have a large drawer full of 6 ft even after throwing some away!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce