anyone have a 1 7/8 ips two track Reel?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
tmcclintock
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

anyone have a 1 7/8 ips two track Reel?

Post by tmcclintock »

I'm looking for a two track reel to dub off a tape into performer with. Either in the Dallas area, or I can send the tape to you.

I need a deck that can do 1 7/8 ips.

All I need to do is play back an old tape and record it into DP in one pass. I'll then clean it up and burn to CD.

This is a tape of an elderly man's deceased wife winging many years ago. Anyone able to help me make an old guy very happy?

Thanks!

Tim
Tiger/17" G4 PowerBook/1.5 Ghz Single/1GBRAM/Apogee MiniMe and MiniDAC Converters/HR8-24 Monitors/DP 4.6/Waves Platinum Bundle/Peak/T-Racks/FinalCut

"The Higher the Predictability, the Lower the Connectivity"

“If you don’t like change, you’re going to like irrelevance even less.â€
tmcclintock

Re: anyone have a 1 7/8 ips two track Reel?

Post by tmcclintock »

err . . . make that "singing".

Tim
Tiger/17" G4 PowerBook/1.5 Ghz Single/1GBRAM/Apogee MiniMe and MiniDAC Converters/HR8-24 Monitors/DP 4.6/Waves Platinum Bundle/Peak/T-Racks/FinalCut

"The Higher the Predictability, the Lower the Connectivity"

“If you don’t like change, you’re going to like irrelevance even less.â€
SoundChances
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by SoundChances »

Is it quarter-inch tape?
My deck doesn't go that slow, but we could try running at the slowest speed I got and thne you could digitally slow it down...
I'm in Irving\Valley Ranch so if you want to give it a shot, shoot me an e-mail....
chad <at> soundchances.com

<small>[ December 10, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Sound Chances ]</small>
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

Tim,

I'm sure you'll get more qualified offers for help, but if you're up against the wall and can't find any options, I still have a Tascam 388 Studio 8.

It's a 1/4" eight-track reel unit that runs at 7.5 ips, but I've put two track tapes on it before... you just get sound on four channels for each side.

Obviously there would need to be some resampling in the digital domain to get the sound right, but that might be acceptable depending on the quality of the original recording and the state of the tape.

This is definitely not the best choice, but if you have no other options, I'll be more than happy to help as best I can.
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
ComposerDan

Post by ComposerDan »

I have the tascam 388 as well (Actually not working right now) but I also have the tascam 38 which I believe could do the job. If you are interested give me an email and I will see what I can do to help you out.