ADAM A3X ...too small?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ADAM A3X ...too small?

Post by wonder »

I'm looking to upgrade my monitoring. I have Tannoy Active Reveals which I've had since 98 or so.

I am looking into getting ADAMs but they're so dang expensive.

I can afford the A3X's but I'm worried they'll not have enough power/boom. I do use a sub and my room isn't tiny but it's not HUGE.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not they'll translate well?

And what's the difference in the F series and the AX series?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
ronjams

Re: ADAM A3X ...too small?

Post by ronjams »

wonder wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my monitoring. I have Tannoy Active Reveals which I've had since 98 or so.

I am looking into getting ADAMs but they're so dang expensive.

I can afford the A3X's but I'm worried they'll not have enough power/boom. I do use a sub and my room isn't tiny but it's not HUGE.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not they'll translate well?

And what's the difference in the F series and the AX series?

Get the JBL LSR 3 Series the LSR 305 or 308 at the point you decide to buy them life will be good for you and you will have saved some money. After going through two pairs of speakers and watching and reviews all over the net,talking to friends and who have access to $2000.00+ speakers. Above all else you want accuracy and mixes that translate on to other systems. One other thing to keep in mind about the ADAM company is that they were bought out and the design of the speakers has changed and the same happened to Event Electronics. Finally, let your ears decide.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I use a set of Equator D8's with as sub for near field and have been pretty happy with them.
I picked up the D8's when they were on sale but really like the JBL LSR308's as well.
After blowing up 2 pairs NS10's over the years the D8's have held up well.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
wonder

Post by wonder »

Accuracy is key I think at this point. i do need something with wattage to fill the room for when I have those types of bands in but accuracy is key.
I've ONLY owned the Tannoy Active Reveals so even telling you what I like or dislike about them is impossible b/c i have nothing to compare them to.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Its a bit of a crap shoot because you never know until you work with them in your own environment.
Maybe find a place that will give you loaners or take your Tannoy's with you to do a comparison.
Buying monitors is a tough decision to make.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
wonder

Post by wonder »

wylie1 wrote:Its a bit of a crap shoot because you never know until you work with them in your own environment.
Maybe find a place that will give you loaners or take your Tannoy's with you to do a comparison.
Buying monitors is a tough decision to make.
Good point. And guitar center is about as good of a place to demo gear as NAMM.

A guy who rents one of my rooms has the Ax7's. His room is about half my size and he has killer treatment in their (he mixes exclusively) and they sound really amazing. I was blown away. it's really the reason I'm looking into ADAMs.

Maybe I'll try and bring those in my room if he's cool with it.

As far as the JBL's go ... I'll maybe try and rent a pair
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

One more thing.
If you do take your Tannoy's somewhere take some reference songs with you that your familiar with.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I have the Focal Twin 6 Be s... they seem to translate well.

http://www.worldofprotools.com/top-10-l ... -monitors/

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wylie1 wrote:I use a set of Equator D8's with as sub for near field and have been pretty happy with them.
I picked up the D8's when they were on sale but really like the JBL LSR308's as well.
After blowing up 2 pairs NS10's over the years the D8's have held up well.
Love the Equators!

At NAMM, Ted showed me an optional Bluetooth dongle that will plug into the calibration port of the D8 and give you 10 selectable response curves including NS10 (sounded dead on to me) and Auratone (yikes!). You switch the curves from your Mac or PC. It should be available in a few months.

I have a pair of D5s with a sub and love them but, having heard the D8 now, I may have to redesign my desk and make some room.

You can get away without a sub on the D8s but there's a bit of woof at the low end that is cleaned up by using a subwoofer. Higher SPLs are the other benefit.

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D8-Coaxial- ... s-p/d8.htm
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'd like to hear the F7's ... but if they're not as good as the AX7's (which seems to be the case), Id like to hear the JBL's and Equators.

So many choices ... and opinions.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wonder wrote:I'd like to hear the F7's ... but if they're not as good as the AX7's (which seems to be the case), Id like to hear the JBL's and Equators.

So many choices ... and opinions.
You got that right.

I would be surprised if Ted couldn't arrange a demo of the Equators. You are in his neck of the woods. They are priced about the same as the A3X.
http://www.equatoraudio.com/AboutUs.asp

Although the plug in DSP dongle I mentioned isn't available yet, he was demonstrating it at NAMM. I was impressed and may upgrade my D5s to D8s just to take advantage of that. The D5s would make great surround speakers when that happens. It will also entail a redesign of my office/studio...

As to your original Q. re the A3X. I can't imagine using them without a sub - I don't care what the reviews say. I consider them on par with the D5 in that regard. You can maximize their potential by letting a sub handle the bottom octave. Now the size of your room is the limiting factor as it should be IMO.

Tweeters that reach into the stratosphere are lost on me nowadays. Between my age and the toll that life has taken on my ears, the superior mids and imaging of the Equators float my boat.

But I am not you. Audition as many as you can. YMMV.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro