Making a playlist for a restaurant...

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Nibiru
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Making a playlist for a restaurant...

Post by Nibiru »

Good Morning all!

So as it says, I'm making a playlist for a restaurant. I've done this before using iTunes, and utilizing the sound check feature (blows) to get somewhat consistent levels. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this, and what techniques you used to deal with loudness issues?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Making a playlist for a restaurant...

Post by 4stripes »

I find SoundCheck to be pretty good. That plus just listening and adjusting manually should get you there 100%.
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

Thanks 4stripes. Edited bc I totally misread your post. So you mean adjust manually in iTunes?
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

I assumed on this board that you might adjust tracks in a DAW.

If not, you can manually adjust tracks in iTunes track properties.

https://www.google.com/search?q=itunes+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

One thing I've done is run my ipod through a mixer channel in my live rig. I then have the mixer main L&R going into a compressor, then out to the amp. I set the compressor pretty aggressive and that helps to smooth out the high volume tunes. I've found that Sound Check can be confused and has bumped volume on tunes .

The other, more involved, option is to assemble your playlists, song by song in DP or Garageband and apply compression or limiting to the tracks and then output a master MP3. That way you get a set of tunes that will require ZERO volume attention when you are on the gig.

A modified version of the above is to play your setlist from ipod directly to your computer input and record it in one pass. Then apply compression/limiting and output as MP3 and you're good.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

digitiki wrote:. . . Then apply compression/limiting and output as MP3 and you're good.
Or better yet just turn the loud ones down. More compression and limiting will make the loud tracks just sound even worse.