Anyone using DSP Quattro & Slate VBC

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stevenew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone using DSP Quattro & Slate VBC

Post by stevenew »

I use DSP Quattro 4.2.4 (been using DSPQ for about 10 years now) for 2 track mastering of my own work and this week bought Slate VBC. If I try and use the Slate FG Grey or the 3plugin rack AU DSPQ instantly crashes, every time. The FG Red & Mu AU work most of the time but do occasionally crash. The VST of all 3 and the rack have GUI issues which make them difficult to use.

I am not sure if this is a DSPQ or Slate issue, so I have written to Stafano at DSPQ.

I have also tried to contact Slate but their Help Desk website is not sending me the registration email (yes I checked the spam:-) so I can't submit the ticket. I wrote to the Slate webmaster (got the email address from the Slate Digital website) about this but the email bounced back as user unknown! So I wrote to Slate sales in a attempt to contact someone in Slate Support but they are at NAMM and not back till Monday!

I'm guessing there are issues with VBC 32bit as I tried them in DP7.24 and the rack plugin crashed DP. The 64bit in DP 8 seem OK.

I tried all 3 versions available on the Slate site but had the same issues with all.

Anyone successfully using VBC with DSP Quattro 4.2.4?

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
flutemaker

Re: Anyone using DSP Quattro & Slate VBC

Post by flutemaker »

If you initiate the VBC plugin before opening your audio file, it is stable.
MacBook Pro (2011) 2.3 GHz quad i7, 16G ram, all drives Solid State
latest mac OS
Neve 511 (2), Lynx Hilo A/D D/A,
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Hi,

Thanks for replying, I am not sure what you mean by 'initiate before loading the audio files', I am loading a CD layout in DSPQ which contains regions (i.e audio files) and then adding region effects or CD effects, in this case I am trying to add VBC as a CD effect and then naturally save the whole layout.

I have heard from Slate and they have my crash logs but they said as they don't test their plugins with DSP Quattro they can't officially say their plugins will work with it! But they will get back to me once they have analysed the crash report.

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are plugs that don't work with DSPQ and DP 7 due to incompatibility with the carbon based code. If a 32bit plug doesn't work with DP 7.24, it probably won't work with the current DSPQ.

Certain versions of Izotope plugs have this issue - Ozone 5.04 for example but 5.03 and 5.05b work. Izotope has lists of what does and doesn't work because of this.

DP 8 is "carbon free" and doesn't have this issue in 64 or 32bit. Stefano is working on a rewrite of DSPQ that addresses this and other issues - a simple update won't cut it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro