RMS % question Mastering

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

RMS % question Mastering

Post by Julia123 »

I have a song that I mastered through Ozone within DP. (I intend to work within DSP Quattro for my final mastering later but it's still new to me so I just went with DP at first) The RMS digit readings in Ozone at the top of the meter seem to average around around -6.0 I set the peak limit at -0.4 When I transferred this 'Ozoned' file to DSP QUattro I did a "Find Peak & RMS".

It reads:
Peak: - .95
- .40 dB

RMS: +21.34%
-13.41 dB

I'm confused since the -6.0 I saw and the -13.41 are different? I don't get the difference in the RMS numbers. Also, I'm not sure what the +21.34% means and don't see it in the Quattro manual.

One last thing, I'm trying to match volume from song to song for a smooth album flow and am having a tough time truly judging, other than "uh--it sounds about right". Any advice on this? Thanks!
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RMS % question Mastering

Post by Dan Worley »

The Ozone RMS readings are momentary, probably 300ms. The DSPQ RMS readings are averaged over the length of the song. I don't know what the % means.

As far as getting the volumes unified between songs, the best (and probably only) way is to adjust by ear. I haven't found meters of much use when it comes to that, though the new meters with gating schemes could possibly offer more help.

Two totally different songs (An acoustic ballad vs. heavy metal) can have identical RMS levels, but the acoustic ballad will sound much louder.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Ugh, yeah... that's a toughy. My last album featured basically a string quartet followed by a hard rock song. So tough getting the string tune quiet enough. Talk about maddening. I really learned about different styles of mastering with that jump. I would not have mastered that string piece like I did if it had been on any other album... full of compromises.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Prime Mover wrote:Ugh, yeah... that's a toughy. My last album featured basically a string quartet followed by a hard rock song. So tough getting the string tune quiet enough. Talk about maddening. I really learned about different styles of mastering with that jump. I would not have mastered that string piece like I did if it had been on any other album... full of compromises.
There are times when the material is so disparate you want there to be enough $$$ in the budget to shop the final master to a famous mastering house and they'll them, "Do what you do best". Unfortunately, when it's your own project, rarely does that money exist. And then there's the personal challenge involved in getting it just right.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

Dan Worley wrote:The Ozone RMS readings are momentary, probably 300ms. The DSPQ RMS readings are averaged over the length of the song. I don't know what the % means.

As far as getting the volumes unified between songs, the best (and probably only) way is to adjust by ear. I haven't found meters of much use when it comes to that, though the new meters with gating schemes could possibly offer more help.

Two totally different songs (An acoustic ballad vs. heavy metal) can have identical RMS levels, but the acoustic ballad will sound much louder.
Thanks. This is quite a crash course. Now I hear what you say about the RMS levels! I started out thinking I was going to be using those but not so much now, more of a check to make sure I'm in line. By matching them by ear to my first song, they are all ending up between -13 & -15. There seems to be a range of what could possibly work, not an obvious technical choice like I thought going into it.
Prime Mover wrote:Ugh, yeah... that's a toughy. My last album featured basically a string quartet followed by a hard rock song. So tough getting the string tune quiet enough. Talk about maddening. I really learned about different styles of mastering with that jump. I would not have mastered that string piece like I did if it had been on any other album... full of compromises.

Yes, I'm having a hard time trying to decide which baby has to take the hit. Most of the songs benefit from Ozone's final compression and final limiter, but then I have a couple that sound best without much compression or limiting. It's so frustrating that I HAVE to push up the volume/comp to get them closer to fitting with the others, yet I don't want to take away from the 'louder' songs because they sound good the way they are. I am trying to place the quieter ones after tunes with softer endings, fortunately they are going to flow best that way anyhow.
mikehalloran wrote:
There are times when the material is so disparate you want there to be enough $$$ in the budget to shop the final master to a famous mastering house and they'll them, "Do what you do best". Unfortunately, when it's your own project, rarely does that money exist. And then there's the personal challenge involved in getting it just right.
Yes! I wish. This is my first time doing this. I've always had pro's do this before but can't justify the $$. I have to admit though, I am having a lot of fun with it! Messing with each song's 'sound' and matching from one tune to the next without going to far. Even though it's frustrating I really like the process at the same time. I also think it is going to help me with my arranging as well because I'm personally dealing what is working well, and what kind of help is needed to bring one tune up to par with another.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.