LED's in the studio

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stainless
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

LED's in the studio

Post by stainless »

Anybody using LED lighting in their studio?

any issues with noise??

thank you!
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
HCMarkus

Re: LED's in the studio

Post by HCMarkus »

Halogens here. I don't like the quality of light delivered by LED lighting and have noted an audible buzz on the few I have tried to date (when dimmed).
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Halogens here. I don't like the quality of light delivered by LED lighting and have noted an audible buzz on the few I have tried to date (when dimmed).
Are you able to dim halogens quietly? What dimmers are you using to achieve that?

My old facility had a yellow mercury vapor street lamp on the street corner outside. Certain equipment couldn't be fired up at night when that thing was on.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have halogen track spots on dimmers in my place (great for getting into the cool headspace). The dimmers are just garden variety home store dimmers. But the room was purpose built... The lights are all on a separate circuit from the AC, so there's no interaction. It has occurred to me recently that when we move to California this year, I may have some hum-n-buzz issues to fix in the next house.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:Are you able to dim halogens quietly? What dimmers are you using to achieve that?
Like Jim, stock dimmers (pulse width mod) on a separate lighting circuit with rare interference issues. Like incandescents, you will get an occasional "ringer" halogen that needs to be switched out. I buy in bulk, and have been using 130 volt parts lately. The heavier element may be one reason I have had but a few noisy bulbs.

Let me shout out an advance "Welcome to California!" to Jim.