DA-88 Tape (Remember those!?) Dropouts

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DA-88 Tape (Remember those!?) Dropouts

Post by buzzsmith »

Unfortunately, I'm trying to resurrect a session from about 15 years ago by transferring some audio back to DP.

I have the original sequence, but I no longer own over half of the modules that were used to create this track and the transfer to the DA-88 tapes.

The session is on 3 tapes. I successfully transferred the piano track then switched tapes to transfer some chordal string beds.

About 2/3 of the way through, I noticed 2 dropouts on all 8 tracks (even though at that particular moment I was only interested in the 2). I rewinded and tried again. Same spots.

Somehow, I actually found the Head Cleaner and put the machine into Cleaning Mode but it appears that this cassette is either used up or defective as the machine kicks it out after about 5 seconds...should be about 15.

I have a studio friend that is going to loan me his head cleaner tape which I'll try but I think I know the answer to this question...

If the dropouts and error light are coming at the same 2 spots with each attempt, I believe I can assume that the tape itself is somehow damaged?

Merci...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DA-88 Tape (Remember those!?) Dropouts

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've had two DAT machines go out like that and bought a used one that is marginally better. In my case (and perhaps in yours) the heads get out of alignment very easily and digital is very unforgiving in that regard.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I used to work on DA-88s synched to Performer, and would frequently carry a machine to an Indianapolis studio to record group vocals with a really hot pop quartet down there... rough mix of the track on two tracks, fill up the other six with the singers.

Before I sold my last machine, I thought it might be fun to transfer those vocals into DP versions of the old Performer files and experienced exactly the same problem, with DA cassettes that had been stored, unplayed, in a very stable climate away from heat or sunlight. While it was more stable than ADAT, those cassettes just don't last, and when enough data fades away to comfuse the 88's extrapolation algos, then all 8 tracks drop-out and the tape is toast. I saved about half the material. The rest... well, it's a good thing nobody will ever want those tracks remixed. :wink:
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If it is minor dropouts where error correction is doing a bit too much, RX-2 or 3 (especially Advanced) can do wonders - it won't recreate the original wave but it can get closer than you think. If the tapes are too far gone for the machine to lock up, I have no useful suggestions.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Maybe it's not such a tragedy all my ADAT tapes burned up in 2003... :lol:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:Maybe it's not such a tragedy all my ADAT tapes burned up in 2003... :lol:
Ouch!

Tragedy or no, still ouch!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|