warm mic for solo jazz guitar

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
guitarsark
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

warm mic for solo jazz guitar

Post by guitarsark »

currently using SM57. archtop guitar thru fender princeton. not very warm. could anyone recommend a better mic that wont break the bank?
DP 7.24
sdemott

Re: warm mic for solo jazz guitar

Post by sdemott »

When I record a solo jazz guitar I usually use multiple mics.

A SM57 or Senny 421 & KM184 on the amp. The 57/421 picks up the warm mid "fuzz" and the 184 gets the freqeuncy extremes & all the transients.

I then use a large diaphragm on the guitar itself for a bit of it's acoustic sound - I've had good luck with AT4050s or a U87. I've even used a Rode NT1 with favorable results.

If you want warmer, try with the actual guitar tone first. Adjust the amp to get the warm sound.

Remember that the 57 doesn't have much below 200Hz - so it's a little light on warmth and it has a boost from about 3k to about 12k with a steep roll off after 15k (it's something like 3 or 4 dB down at 15k). try a little boost down low (100Hz or so) and the try a cut around 7k, about 4 or 5dB with a 1 to 1.33 octave bandwidth. That should "mellow out" the 57 quite a bit - though you may find it necessary to add a high shelf around 12k to get some of the "sparkle" back.

All that being said - you could try a Senheiser 421. But you're still going to need some EQ in the end.

HTH
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
WKWizard

Post by WKWizard »

You don't specify which preamp you're using or what the bank can handle. However, you may want to look at the Rode NTK.
guitarsark

Post by guitarsark »

eq is fine. what i'm finding to be missing with the sm57 is the nice 3dimensional sound i get from my fender amp...warm tube tone. the mic is making it sound like i went thru a line 6 pod or something and not a real amp. could it be the mackie board?
DP 7.24
abe_lincoln78

Post by abe_lincoln78 »

Center the mic on the cone, then pull it 2-3 feet from the amp. Let the third order harmonics work with everything else before getting to the mic. You'll have to turn up a little, but as we all who have used fender amps know, they just sound better when you turn them up. I really think it fattens up pretty nice by putting a little distance in there. Also, a touch of apples multiband compressor in the analog preset fattens a little.

Have fun, it will still sound loads better with that mic then plugging strait in.
He said now son, your gonna drive me to drinkin, if you don't stop drivin that hot . rod . lincoln

My father ;)
abe_lincoln78

Post by abe_lincoln78 »

Oh, i forgot somethin, if you have 350 bucks, try a ribbon mic, they are deliciously warm and might help you out a little.
He said now son, your gonna drive me to drinkin, if you don't stop drivin that hot . rod . lincoln

My father ;)
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

The AEA R84 is heaven in this regard. The Royer 121 is very good too. Both ribbons. But both mics are a little pricey. I'll second the AT4050.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

For more dimension you need more space - pull the mic back or use a 2nd room mic to add that dimensionality. A 57 right up on the cone will never sound anything but close mic'd. Sound needs space to develop.
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.