Anyone digitizing vinyl to disk?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
riktweed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone digitizing vinyl to disk?

Post by riktweed »

Looking for an elegant way to bring turntable into DP, with shortest signal path and minimum cost per input.

Is an amp necessary between table and interface such as 828?

I need to get multiple (4+) turntable feeds simultaneously tracking.

Tips appreciated. Thanks.
DP4.51/OS10.3.7/G4@1Ghz Single+1GBRAM/UA-20/VM88/Reason2.5/Peak4/T-Racks/BlueTubes/VIs/FinalCutPro/Korg770,MS10,56LesPaulJr.
www.riktweed.com
kazuya

Re: Anyone digitizing vinyl to disk?

Post by kazuya »

Hi,
you need a turntableamp to get the right level. The turntables have to be grounded (hope that‘s right in english...). To get a good sound i would prefer 4 small vinyl-amps, put them into a 828 or into a mixer and then the direct-outs to your interface...
I use 2 turntables with a dj mixer (for scratches and mixIing) and then in my "big" mixer and record via my subgroup and have a third turntable which is connected to a normal hifi amp with the "tape out" connected to my "big" one for sampling stuff.
If you need 4 you should look for some small "converters" that just have a phono in and convert this into a line signal... I think "monacor" builds some of these... Just a small box without any levelfaders...
Good Luck !!!
DP 9.12 // MacPro 8-Core 2,26 // OSX 10.11.6 // 32 GB RAM // UAD-2 // PSP // Sonnox // 828 MK-II // Altiverb 6 // MachFive 2 // iZotope // ...

Excuse my bad english. I´m just a german.
riktweed

Post by riktweed »

Danke sehr, Kayuza.
I did find a simple amp with ground post and built in RIAA curve made by Griffin Technologies. It is exactly as you describe.

Entschuldigen sie meine Deutsch, aber Ich bin ein Amerikaner.
DP4.51/OS10.3.7/G4@1Ghz Single+1GBRAM/UA-20/VM88/Reason2.5/Peak4/T-Racks/BlueTubes/VIs/FinalCutPro/Korg770,MS10,56LesPaulJr.
www.riktweed.com
kazuya

Post by kazuya »

;·)
DP 9.12 // MacPro 8-Core 2,26 // OSX 10.11.6 // 32 GB RAM // UAD-2 // PSP // Sonnox // 828 MK-II // Altiverb 6 // MachFive 2 // iZotope // ...

Excuse my bad english. I´m just a german.
garryc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by garryc »

I've used a preamp by Rolls (www.rolls.com) and have gotten good results.

Another possible solution I heard of (I haven't tried it, though) is to digitize WITHOUT a phono preamp, then use a Waves equalization plugin to apply the RIAA curve to the signal. I was told that the Waves plug-in have the RIAA plug-in as a preset.