Controller Suggestions

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Tele54321
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Controller Suggestions

Post by Tele54321 »

I'm shopping for a good quality 61 key MIDI controller with knobs, sliders and pads. Any recommendations?

Thanks
iMac 27, OSX 10.8.2, 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, Lexicon Omega, NI B4II, Alicia's Keys, EZdrummer, and a little imagination.
mhschmieder

Re: Controller Suggestions

Post by mhschmieder »

Check some of the older posts on the topic; not sure but they might have been in the main DP forum. Not much has changed in the past year controller-wise. Several of us have been thrilled with the Arturia series due to the MIDI precision that is currently unmatched by any other brand; not everyone cares about that though. Very expressive as a result, and lots of knobs and pads. The newer model is less ergonomic for desktop use as it's deeper; I deliberately bought the previous model due to limited desktop space.

Arturia's keytar is on blowout at the moment for $99 but I think it's else than 61 keys. probably a new version is on the way. It has a sensor for throttling the neck but reviewers say it's on/off and rather chaotic. For ergonomic reasons this could be a stop-gap; I may look at its follow-on as I'd rather pay extra for some of the problems of the Vortex to be fixed.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Tele54321

Re: Controller Suggestions

Post by Tele54321 »

Thank you for the reply. I bought the Arturia Keylab 61. I have not had time to try it out yet but it seem to be the best choice for my situation. From my research and recommendations from 2 very experienced friends, this seems to have been the best choice for my needs. Your response confirms that I made a sound choice.

BD
iMac 27, OSX 10.8.2, 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, Lexicon Omega, NI B4II, Alicia's Keys, EZdrummer, and a little imagination.