Interesting Recording Problem, Please Help

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Tightrope
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Interesting Recording Problem, Please Help

Post by Tightrope »

Ok, I got my two ADAT machines to dump their wonderful tracks into my Cool Edit Pro software. I was mixing away and everything was going great. I got all the levels perfect and it was time to Mix down to a single playable file. Yeah!

So I mixed it down, burned the file to check the sound on a regular CD player.

Here's the problem, the mixdown file is half the tempo therefore ruining the song. The levels came through correct and everything I modified showed up perfectly. It's just slower....

Please help...anyone...
Studiowerks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Interesting Recording Problem, Please Help

Post by Studiowerks »

A couple obvious things to check- I have no idea if they could cause what you're seing:

1. Sample Rate/Depth - Are you bouncing to 44.1KHz and 16 bit for your mixed down audio?

2. Stereo - The final mix audio needs to be in stereo (2 tracks).

(sorry if these are too obvious)
G4 Dual 1.42GHz 1.5GB / OS X 10.4.11 / DP 4.61 / VSTwrapper
1224 / 2408mk2 / Mackie 1604-VLZPro / Sansamp PSA-1 / Bass Pod Pro / SPD-20 / ASR-10
podlegoop
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by podlegoop »

make sure your project is set to 48KHz BEFORE importing your ADAT tracks. Then mix and Bounce down and you should be fine. Also make sure your sync is set correctly. (ADAT or Wordclock)If you don't have the right sample rate set to equal your source, you can get speeding up or slowing down when you bounce down to 44.1KHz.
LaptopPop
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by LaptopPop »

For Cool Edit Pro, in the edit menu, choose "Adjust sample rate". This will let you change the sample rate without changing the data.

Try different rates - most likely 48000 will be the right one for you.

When it sounds right, you can go back to the edit menu and choose "convert sample type" which will change the music file to be the sample rate you want.

If this is a multitrack project, you'll have to do this for each of your tracks. These options are in the edit view, not the multitrack view.

-lee-