two things: Tascam FW 1884 and ads

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
littlerubberfeet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

two things: Tascam FW 1884 and ads

Post by littlerubberfeet »

First: I am looking at the Tascam FW1884. Does anyone use it? How is it used with DP? Does it use Mackie's HUI? Does the firewire bus really support 8 or more channels of simultaneous recording and MIDI at the same time?

I would love to hear people's thoughts on the interface, especially if they think there is a better product out there for a similar price.

Second: The studio I work at is getting rid of equipment. What is the site policy on posting ads? would it be a huge faux pas to post that sort of stuff?

Thanks

-LRF
Current project: Alyssa Simmons
giles117
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: two things: Tascam FW 1884 and ads

Post by giles117 »

1884:

Works well with DP. Uses Huit Protocol or Tascams proprietary Driver. Supports 18 channels with tascams latest software iteration.

My Issue with the unit is no visual indicators on the unit. You are forced to look at the screen to know what fader is related to what track.

See here look at the bottom of this image. That is a nuisance to me.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/FW-1884/softlcd-dp.jpg

I use the Mackie Control and a 2408 Mk3. Solution costs more but the experience is better.

A Lexan Overlay can be ordered for your MC easily idetifying all the modifiers and what functions in DP they control. Also where is the Counter on the unit??????

Nice unit but not as complete for DP as the MC. The only advantge is the built in ins/outs. otherwise, i pass. :)

of course I did buying 1 Main and 3 EXT for my control surface needs mackie has the nod :)

<small>[ December 09, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: The_Manager ]</small>
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....