Anyone tried the UA 2192 Digital IO?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone tried the UA 2192 Digital IO?

Post by Timeline »

It looks like the fixall bomb! You get a super good clock and two great ad-da's. Too bad there is no firewire interface though.

Cheers
Gary
T I M E L I N E
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mesaken
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Anyone tried the UA 2192 Digital IO?

Post by mesaken »

I just installed one. I mix out of an analog board
and had been using a Waves L2 clocked by an Aardsync
II as my 2-track front end. My MOTU HD 192s were
also clocked by the Aardsync II. I just picked up a
tweaked Big Ben, an audiophile did some minor mods on it, and have been clocking the 2192 and the HD 192s with the Big Ben. The 2192 is definitely more
spacious sounding with less smear and tighter in the low end than the L2. The Big Ben also opens things
up. I haven't had time to do a thorough comparison
between the Aardsync II and the Big Ben, nor have I tracked with the 2192 yet, I've just run some ruff mixes of current projects through it. The 2192's internal clock sounds good. My impression
is it sounds a tad better when clocked by the Big Ben. Further listening will tell if I'm hallucinating or not.
Octo 2.8/10.6.4/DP7.21/PCI Driver 1.5.38352/BLA HD192s/UAD-1e & 5.50 plugs/Waves v7/Current/PSP/Altiverb6.3.5/Breverb1.5.8/Stillwell/Fabfilter/elysia/Brainworx
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I can't afford a BB right now but the jitter specs on this look good enough to eat.

I think I'll try using this as the centerpiece of my HD192's and clocking the entire enchilada including my L2.

Hmm, better get some lunch. hehe

Cheers

Gary

Just found out Alan Sides at Ocean Way in LA bought a bunch of these for his studio.

<small>[ December 31, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Timeline ]</small>
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
groove

Post by groove »

I have one for almost a year now and it is the best sounding ad-da you can find. I did extensive a/b and blind testing with apogee rosetta and monitored through my Dyn BM6A and 15A and a friends M3 and every time the 2192 won. Simply put the lows are tight, the highs are pristine and warm and the stereo image is responsive and uncluttered. Very easy to set-up also. Just hook a Passive Volume control like the NHT between the DA output and my active monitor and I never got a better sound.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks for the replies, Here is my opinion:

I just got my UA 2192 today and compared it through the AES/EBU of my MOTU HD192.

I used my best Telefunken 251, a V76 Telefunken preamp and an LA2A plus my searing voice under various modes of volume, stress and screaming. What more could one test with. hehe

I split the OP of the mic/limiter into the input of the HD192 and the 2192 so I could quickly A/B the input tone monitoring through the 2192 and DP4.5 with the HD192.

Sonically, it blew away the HD192 on input and on output it seemed to sound a bit brighter but there was less difference which I expected. The HD192 actually sounded very good on the OP but if I had to choose I would take the UA hands down.

The 2192 was set as the master system clock and I found very little difference switching back to the HD192 for comparison and syncing to MOTU making me think the HD192 system clock is likely very good too.

The thing that impressed me the most was how nicely it sounded hitting the top/last bit with the built in soft clip UA designed in.

There was no edgy transistor radio top like the MOTU's top end which expells a hashy tone when driven.

I want 11 more and an AES card that will interface them I can afford right now! Wish they made a rack of 12 with firewire.

I have never had the opportunity to hear other high end DACs like Lavry or others so I would like to hear more from you guys that have.

I think if MOTU could work with UA and put out a hybrid design, licensed to other companies to solve the cheap tone issue, I and many others who have been screaming about this would shut the F___ up. We could all make our music sing like it used to with 2" tape.

Thanks Again

Gary Brandt
Engineer/Producer

<small>[ January 06, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Timeline ]</small>