Our monitors

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
sndmarks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Our monitors

Post by sndmarks »

I've been using a set of Q10s for awhile now and still feel they're worth every penny. Especially considering I bought them before the shift in distribution and consequently paid more than double the current sale price.

They sound great and have performed very well. After 5+ years of daily production use, the only issue is that one channel has developed a slight buzz. I haven't had enough down time to take them down to San Diego to be fixed and it isn't annoying enough to force the issue... yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I swapped my Mackie HR 824s for Q10s and while I haven't done a ton of mixing on them since I got them, I really like the amount of detail in them. They are BIG though. Placement was a bit of a challenge (and I'm not sure they've reached their final location yet either).
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Front End Audio is running a giveaway sweepstakes on a Neumann KH120A pair until end-of-month.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

SixStringGeek wrote:I swapped my Mackie HR 824s for Q10s and while I haven't done a ton of mixing on them since I got them, I really like the amount of detail in them. They are BIG though. Placement was a bit of a challenge (and I'm not sure they've reached their final location yet either).
Ha! I can relate, Geekster. These guys would've broken my previous, height-adjustable, home-made wooden stands twice over... at least!

It took 4 months from the time of the Opals' arrival for me to add a hefty, stained and tint-matched shelf to my desk to support them. I actually got quite sick from the paint and Danish Oil fumes, mainly because the house was heading towards the usual (unheated) winter temperatures. Not quite single figures, but another month would've easily accomplished that. The various products I used all specified they not be applied below 14ºC; all applications in fact had to dry and set in the 10-12º range.
mikehalloran wrote:
...able to acquire my beloved Opals.
I am not worthy.
Neither am I, Mike!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:I still use Mackie 824s I bought a day or two after the first of them arrived here in town. They replaced some 20 year old 3-way BBC/KEF monitors I was using to that point. What a difference that was. The Mackie's were quite reasonably priced when they first arrived, then the price went up quite a bit.

I never think about these monitors. They always do exactly what I expect, and seem completely unremarkable in every respect. I don't know how they compare to more up to date models.
Ditto. No doubt there's something better, but I know these so well after so many years.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

philbrown wrote:Ditto. No doubt there's something better, but I know these so well after so many years.
Yup. Knowing your monitors is paramountric, Phil. If I'd had a working set in the first place, I'd certainly not have committed to the exorbitant upgrade I undertook.

Equally as paramountric is knowing your MonkeyGrammarInspector™. Yes, I'm talkin' to you now, Stoivo. You proved that you can do it:
bayswater wrote:I still use Mackie 824s...
Then you choked:
bayswater wrote:The Mackie's...
Naughty boy! Go sit in the corner for 10 minutes whilst listening to this Demis Roussos CD...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Equally as paramountric is knowing your MonkeyGrammarInspector™. Yes, I'm talkin' to you now, Stoivo. You proved that you can do it:
bayswater wrote:I still use Mackie 824s...
Then you choked:
bayswater wrote:The Mackie's...
Naughty boy! Go sit in the corner for 10 minutes whilst listening to this Demis Roussos CD...
I know. Inexcusable. I'll pay more attention in future. The worst of it is that the offending word is now in my spell checker and is applied in the autocorrect function.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well, apply the MonkeyGrammarInspector™ philosophy to its ass, Stoivo!

Geez, a grammar inspector's work is never done...

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:Well, apply the MonkeyGrammarInspector™ philosophy to its ass...
I apply the Sister Killeen test. It would be interesting to see which is tighter.

She was my eighth grade English teacher. Her gift to me was not instructing me in grammar. It was her teaching me why the rules existed that cemented them in my brain forever.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Most of my teachers wanted us to use proper grammar and spelling to save them the effort of whacking us over the head with a ruler.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mikehalloran wrote:
monkey man wrote:Well, apply the MonkeyGrammarInspector™ philosophy to its ass...
I apply the Sister Killeen test. It would be interesting to see which is tighter.

She was my eighth grade English teacher. Her gift to me was not instructing me in grammar. It was her teaching me why the rules existed that cemented them in my brain forever.
Awesome. Go Sister!

I think, Mike, that where which is tighter is concerned, one could conceivably apply the old audio adage, "if it gets the job done" to this question. Seems both our "technologies" "sound right".
bayswater wrote:Most of my teachers wanted us to use proper grammar and spelling to save them the effort of whacking us over the head with a ruler.
Ha!

dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I'm using KRK Rokit 5 - I mix at around 75db and these things are clean and clear. I've used Yamaha, Tanoy, Machie along with a few others in my mixing career and found the Rokit 5's to be the most flat, clear and clean. I know that's a matter of opinion so to each their own. My thoughts. : )
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dpg4macman wrote:I'm using KRK Rokit 5 - I mix at around 75db and these things are clean and clear. I've used Yamaha, Tanoy, Machie along with a few others in my mixing career and found the Rokit 5's to be the most flat, clear and clean. I know that's a matter of opinion so to each their own. My thoughts. : )
With or without a sub?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

No sub
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I got the Adam A7s when they were considered the bee's knees along with the matching Adam Sub. I don't use the built in crossover. (I'm using one of my own design.) I've done a ton of mixing on these. Love 'em.

If I were shopping for monitors today, I might be looking at something else, but the Adams have served me well and I'll probably have them until I retire. :roll:

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.