Apogee Symphony has no direct play through?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Apogee Symphony has no direct play through?

Post by supersonic »

I am doing a session in this very nice studio (custom34.com). They have two symphonies there and I was dismayed to learn that those interfaces do not offer direct hardware play through (like Motu and many others). On this particular mac the was no way I could use DP without severe latency so I recorded in Protools with Lo latency setting. That is not really something I would be ready to live with on a regular basis. What to do...
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Apogee Symphony has no direct play through?

Post by malditoyanki »

Strange... I have a symphony and have recorded my guitars via direct play through using DP. You have to use maestro software to set the outputs to the symphony headphones and create a track in DP that routes out to those assigned outputs.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I have double checked with the engineer from the studio and it seems there is now way to have every single input channel go straight to its corresponding output with no delay. You can sure do a no latency mix to the main output, but that is all. I would love to be proven wrong.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
OftheSeven

Post by OftheSeven »

Sorry to pull up an old thread but I've been using a Symphony and DP8.07 for months without issue. Suddenly, tonight, I can only monitor record-enabled tracks through effects.

"Direct hardware play through" is greyed out. I actually don't remember if it was selectable but I was able to use Maestro and DP to listen to live sound (no effects).

Anyone have this issue?

This is on Mavericks 10.9.5.
DP 8.07, LogicX, Apogee Symphony USB I/O
UAD-Quad, Unity Rocks
Playa

Post by Playa »

Hi,

This is straight from the DP manual:

Direct hardware playthrough provides accurate monitoring with no delays, but if you have real time effects (EQ, reverb, etc.) assigned to the track being recorded into, you will not hear them during monitoring. Effects will, however, be applied to the recorded material during subsequent playback.
When this option is chosen, the input signal currently being monitored can always be heard, i.e. it will be patched through when Digital Performer is stopped, playing or recording.
When operating Digital Performer with a MOTU audio hardware system, this option is required to enable the Cue MixTM monitoring feature.
OftheSeven

Post by OftheSeven »

Hi Playa - thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of what the two options do and I've used an 896HD in the past.

My question, more precisely, is that it was working fine (direct hardware playthrough with my Symphony) and now the option is greyed out. I don't remember if it was always greyed out in the past but now everything is going through the DAW (with or without plugins on the channel) and I can't select any other option.
UAD-Quad, Unity Rocks
Playa

Post by Playa »

Hi,

From talking with MOTU Tech Support in the past the direct hardware playthrough option is only applicable to MOTU hardware units that have the CueMixFX feature. So the option should not be available for an Apogee Symphony unit.
OftheSeven

Post by OftheSeven »

OK, thanks! I have to mess with the Maestro settings and see what I'm doing wrong.
UAD-Quad, Unity Rocks