Izotope Nectar ELements - waht say ya'll?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Izotope Nectar Elements & Nectar 2 Upgrade

Post by mhschmieder »

Now that I'm home, I revisited the site and noticed it has a video that explains the new features (I disable all media on my work computers).

Actually, this is a MAJOR upgrade. It has new manual pitch-shifting, a harmonizer, a new EMT 140 emulating plate reverb, a distortion module, and various new dynamics modules.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Tobor

Re: Izotope Nectar ELements - waht say ya'll?

Post by Tobor »

It looks like the redesign of Nectar 2 shares much with Alloy 2 and Trash 2, which I really like. It probably also shares some of the same processing, but that's OK. It's good processing.

Hopefully the upgrade fee will be reasonable.

I enjoy using Nectar, as it's handy to have so many processing tools under one roof. I use it often, but still prefer Waves' CLA Vocals module for quickly dialing in a very clean vocal (or horn, or...) sound. The sound quality is simply top notch.

Along those lines, for those who do Waves, the CLA Artist series which includes the Vocals module is on sale this month for $199, and I can't recommend it enough. Just picked up the Manny Marroquin collection on sale for $199 as well, and between these two you could cover a lot of ground, both meat and potatoes and experimental.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dwetmaster wrote:Just saw this as well. Wondering how it'll stand against Nectar1.

I think the upgrade price will determine if I upgrade or not.
Definitely. Since Nectar 1 works 64bit in DP 8, I quite agree. I will download the demo and give it the what for.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

FWIW there is a specific vendor offering the Elements version for $49 for a limited period.

I can't divulge who they are; you'll know soon enough if you're on their mailing list.

The main reason I mention it at all (for those who aren't subscribers to that vendor's email list) is that it might provide some cues for people who are trying to decide when/whether/which version of Nectar to buy (full current, v2 when it comes out, or Elements).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Even better, Musician's Friend has Nectar Elements for $29.99 today as their Stupid Deal of the Day (24 hours only). Might be a good deal even with upgrade costs to Nectar 2; do the math.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Beat me to the punch on the MF Stupid Deal of the Day.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?src=3TP3DRR

I am thinking of upgrading to Nectar 2 but I have Nectar already. The way that Izotope prices upgrades, anyone contemplating Nectar 2 would do well to plunk down the $29.99 today and save money on the upgrade if it's something you find useful.

Nectar works in Mavericks, BTW so Elements should have no problem. Elements can use the free Style Packs downloadable from Izotope - three downloadable preset packages that some may find useful.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/n ... resets.asp
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Nectar 2 is really nice. I've mostly just played around with the new Harmony module. I was really looking forward to this feature as I used to get some nice results with my old Studio Vocalist, which just kind of disappeared in a rack under the desk at some point. It works in much the same way. A heads up here as to use MIDI input for harmonies you'll need to boot up the VST version. I was pleased to discover that it's easy to find and scan the VST version in DP's Preferences.

I also really like the new interface which is cut from the same cloth as Alloy 2 and Trash 2, which I've become quite fond of.

The advanced Pitch Editor and Breath Editor now have their own (included) dedicated plugs, which probably reduces the main plug's footprint somewhat (although the Harmony module probably reclaims most of that).

Anyway it's definitely a worthy upgrade.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Hey, for 30 bucks... Yeah, I'm in.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
trenken

Post by trenken »

MF sold out.
iMac 27" OS 10.8.3, DP 8.04, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, Apogee Duet 2, & Duet Firewire, UA LA-610, A Designs Pacifica, DBX 160X modded, Waves, AA Microphones, Fender Tele, Yamaha Keys, Mesa Boogie, Pearl, Toontrack, BFD
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Got Nectar Elements today. Bought it for my daughter. It comes as a CD folder but with no disk. It's a set of instructions and serial number. Ok...

I installed it on my machine to check the differences between Elements and the first version of Nectar. Hmmm... Interesting... If there are any, I can't find them. I also noticed that it found the three Style Packs that I installed a few years ago (free download - do it). Good to know. So Elements = Nectar v 1.14 and both work great in DP 7.24, 8.05, 32/64bit and OS 10.9.

Upgrade price to Nectar 2 is the same - $129 or $179 if you want the Production Suite version with the pitch editor and breath reducer/remover.

BTW, Elements and Nectar 2 have a pitch correction tool with variable sensitivity and it's pretty good. The extra $50 Production Suite version gives you the ability to edit individual notes a la Auto Tune, DP etc. plus a breath removal tool.

There you have it.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Got Nectar Elements today. Bought it for my daughter. It comes as a CD folder but with no disk. It's a set of instructions and serial number. Ok...
I'm a little bummed I missed the $29 deal. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nectar Elements turned out to be the discontinued Nectar 1.14 with a new name and lower price. It even uses the same three downloadable Style Packs. There is no difference visually or in functionality. It works great with DP 7.24, 8.05 and all flavors of Mac OS through Mavericks.

Long story short, I did not need the license that I purchased from Musicians Friend as my daughter has 1.14. I had purchased an upgrade to Nectar 2 Production Suite through a reseller. So...

Izotope has a license transfer policy that I followed.
http://www.izotope.com/support/portal/i ... fer_Policy
Three days later, they processed it and our friend, James, did not miss out on the $29 deal after all.

All is right with this little corner of the world. :headbang:

Interestingly, even though I have Nectar 2 and my Elements license no longer shows in my account, I still have a coupon to upgrade from the copy of Elements I no longer own - just in case I wish to spend more money, I suppose.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Izotope has a license transfer policy that I followed.
http://www.izotope.com/support/portal/i ... fer_Policy
Three days later, they processed it and our friend, James, did not miss out on the $29 deal after all.

All is right with this little corner of the world. :headbang:
Thanks again, my friend! So glad I got in on it!

I am enjoying the plug and in just a short time I came up with a couple usable presets. Funny though... if the simplified UI is any indication of iZotope's target market, you CAN indeed do the equivalent of putting "A-1 sauce all over a good cut of meat." Meaning, I found the sizzle parameter and the other one next to it largely offensive... LOL... it seems to add high end distortion and I was scratching my head as to WHY?!!! LOL At least that's MY subjective taste at work. I'll just avoid that particular feature. Plenty can be done with the other ones. I like it. Thanks again, Mike!! :) :headbang:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For those who missed the Musicians Friend deal a few months ago, Sweetwater Sound has it for $39 download. Click through the banner and search for Nectar Elements.

If you already have Nectar 1.14, don't bother - this is exactly the same. It even takes the same free custom Style Packs (I recommend downloading them). Nectar 1.14/Elements works fine in DP 8 64bit.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/n ... resets.asp
Although this appears to be just a collection of presets (many good), if you close the front window on any setting, you can tweak the controls to taste.

Every once in awhile, Izotope or Sweetwater will run a special allowing you to upgrade to Nectar 2 or the Production Suite at a great price. If you are looking to get either, Elements @ $39 will save you $61 over buying directly from Izotope.

No affiliation etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I discovered this page on their support site. It's been updated for Nectar 2 but many of the tips work with Elements (aka Nectar 1.14).

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/n ... rotips.asp

I learned a cool EQ trick that will help with a finger squeak issue on a live to stereo track. Yes, it works on stereo tracks, too.

I don't reach for Nectar the way that I do for Ozone, Alloy or RX but it's a great plug - especially if you don't have anything like it.