The War on Drugs vocal delay

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
msmith92
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

The War on Drugs vocal delay

Post by msmith92 »

There is a band TWOD and I want to know ow o get that same vocal delay as on their new cd.

http://www.thewarondrugs.net/
MOTU 2408MK3 (PCI-424) / MOTU 1296 / BLACKLION MICRO CLOCK / PRESONUS M80 / FOCUSRITE OCTOPRE / FOCUSRITE VOICEMASTER PRO/ PRESONUS CENTRAL STATION / UAD-1 (2)/ WAVES Platinum / PSP All PLUGS / IK Multimedia (All of them)/ DIGITAL PERFORMER 7.22 / PEAK Pro 6 / MACHFIVE 1.2.3 / DUAL G5 2.0 w/ 5 gigs Ram - OS 10.5.8 / RODE NT1 / RODE NTK / SHURE 57'S / SHURE 58'S / AKG C1000'S / SENNHEISER 421'S / SEINNHEISER E602 / BLUE BLUEBIRD/ BLUE SNOWBALL / AUDIX D2 (2) / EVENT TR8'S / WHARFDALE DIAMOND 6'S
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The War on Drugs vocal delay

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The first tune sounds like it is capitalizing on some heavy phase cancellation. Some of the other stuff seems like old "Elvis" style 'natural' reverb. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a lot of that stuff with creative live mic placements in front of speakers during performance and not necessarily as a digital insert on a track. Not my cup of tea, but well done walls of sound. The mastering certainly holds your interest.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
msmith92

Post by msmith92 »

So a plugin chain would not work?
MOTU 2408MK3 (PCI-424) / MOTU 1296 / BLACKLION MICRO CLOCK / PRESONUS M80 / FOCUSRITE OCTOPRE / FOCUSRITE VOICEMASTER PRO/ PRESONUS CENTRAL STATION / UAD-1 (2)/ WAVES Platinum / PSP All PLUGS / IK Multimedia (All of them)/ DIGITAL PERFORMER 7.22 / PEAK Pro 6 / MACHFIVE 1.2.3 / DUAL G5 2.0 w/ 5 gigs Ram - OS 10.5.8 / RODE NT1 / RODE NTK / SHURE 57'S / SHURE 58'S / AKG C1000'S / SENNHEISER 421'S / SEINNHEISER E602 / BLUE BLUEBIRD/ BLUE SNOWBALL / AUDIX D2 (2) / EVENT TR8'S / WHARFDALE DIAMOND 6'S
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You're asking the wrong guy. I am something of a traditionalist but maybe one of these smarty pants guys can answer you. It should be possible with the right delay-compression-reverb settings. If I had to do it for a project, I would figure it out, but it reminds me of my acid guitar days using an actual amp as a preamp. They seemed to have really captured the power of live speakers kicking-arse! That's it! I'm taking my guitar out tonight! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You need a lot of reverb on the delay only.

Set up your delay on an Aux track as a 100% wet insert. Bus your vocal to that Aux Track via a Send. Then Send the delay's output to your reverb via an Aux Send or insert a Reverb below the Delay. Adjust the delay and 'verb character and levels to taste.

For the sound you seek, a big hall 'verb on the delay would do the trick. A bandpass filter inserted after the delay is also a good way to tune the character of the delay and reverb.

By the way, adding reverb to delays as noted above is almost always a good thing. Delays sit IN, not ON, the mix that way.
msmith92

Post by msmith92 »

HCMarkus wrote:You need a lot of reverb on the delay only.

Set up your delay on an Aux track as a 100% wet insert. Bus your vocal to that Aux Track via a Send. Then Send the delay's output to your reverb via an Aux Send or insert a Reverb below the Delay. Adjust the delay and 'verb character and levels to taste.

For the sound you seek, a big hall 'verb on the delay would do the trick. A bandpass filter inserted after the delay is also a good way to tune the character of the delay and reverb.

By the way, adding reverb to delays as noted above is almost always a good thing. Delays sit IN, not ON, the mix that way.
Oh cool! I like that idea. Thanks.

I really want to get vocal sounds like that or like the band Beach House.