Programmable Phono RIAA Equalizations/De-emphasis available

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
AndreaT
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Programmable Phono RIAA Equalizations/De-emphasis available

Post by AndreaT »

Dear All,

today is a great day for anybody willing to have a fully-programmable state of the art Digital Phono Preamp for perfect Vinil Restoration, or simply (like in my case) to get rid of the old vacuum-tube preamplifier, sounding good, but having only one, or just a few, RIAA presets and taking one hour to warm-up.

I am pleased to inform you that I did an Audiophile Grade implementation of the following Phono RIAA Equalizations/De-emphasis:

Versions optimized for 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling:
- Official Standard RIAA (1964)
- IEC RIAA (IEC 60098) (1974)
- AT IEC RIAA (2012) - Own optimized version to digitally reduce hum & rumble

Versions optimized for 88.2 and 96 kHz sampling:
- IEC RIAA with Neumann Correction (1995)
- AT IEC RIAA with Neumann Correction (2012) - Own optimized version to digitally reduce hum & rumble

The six EQ settings are provided as six XML configuration files to be imported or hand copied (the EQ section only) into your default/target configuration.

For only 19.90 USD I provide the EQ-files and 1 year maintenance support (any optimization and or adjustment to new MOTU FW version release).

The current implementations have been done and tested using a new MOTU 896 mk3 Hybrid and can work with the MOTU devices that fully support the MOTU Vintage Parametric EQ (i.e.: the new 896 mk3, 828 mk3, UltraLite mk3 and all the legacy and older having the same parametric EQ).

In the coming months I am planning to implement all the known 44 different phono equalizations used so far worldwide (among these are 33/45 and 78 rpm versions).
Each one will be optimized/tuned for 44.1-48 and 88.2-96 kHz sampling (due to input anti-aliasing filtering is not possible to have a single implementation perfectly operating under all the sampling frequencies).

Do not hesitate to contact me for further details and purchase.
Kind regards,
Andrea Tarasconi (andrea dot tarasconi at gmail dot com)
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Programmable Phono RIAA Equalizations/De-emphasis availa

Post by stephentayler »

Very interested in this, have emailed you!!

Regards

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Hello folks,

This is definitely worth a try.

I have a pretty good Technics turntable and Stanton cartridge hat had been gathering dust for many years. I only have a cheap hifi amp these days so the phono pre is pretty terrible, so I was curious to try these EQ curves out on the Ultralite.

So now I have a much better signal path, should I need to listen to vinyl through my studio system or digitise. Haven't had much of a chance to really check it out yet, but so far it seems great!

Very handy considering the last 2 albums I mixed have been put out on very high quality vinyl (basically a single album spread out over 2 discs) 8)

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
AndreaT

Post by AndreaT »

Dear Friends,

herein is my update about.

An Audiophile Grade Multi-curve RIAA Equalizer/De-emphaser for Microgroove 33 & 45 and old 78 RPM Vinyl Records Reproduction and/or Restoration

Is finally a great day for anybody willing to have a fully-programmable state of the art Digital Phono Preamp for perfect Vinil Restoration, or simply (like many I know) to get rid of the old vacuum-tube preamplifier, sounding good, but having only one, or just a few, RIAA presets and taking one hour to warm-up.

Finally the DSP technology and its related algorithms have made the so far expected leap-frong far away from the loved analog technology.
Phase coherent FIR and phase-corrected IIR, along with 64/80 bit computational accuracy, allow to listen today what was simply impossible before.
Better dynamic range and faster transients, along with capability to replicate any Phono Equalization (and correct it as needed by the wearing condition of the played record) get-out details never heard before (hidden among the vinyl groove and the analog phono equalizer).

All those make this "tool" a must-have for any True Audiophile and for anyone involved with Vinyl Recording Restoration/Archiving.

As of today (this post update and correct my previous one), the following Audiophile Grade implementation of Phono Equalizations / De-emphasis Curves are available:

Versions optimized for 44.1 kHz sampling (good also for 48 kHz sampling):
- IEC RIAA (IEC 60098) (1974)
- AT IEC RIAA (2012) - Own optimized version to digitally reduce hum & rumble
- Official Standard NAB (1948)
- FFRR (1949), also called FFRR49, used in many 78 rpm
- FFRR LP (1953), also called FFRR53
- CCIR (1956), also called CCIR56

Versions optimized for 96 kHz sampling:
- eRIAA (1995), also called IEC RIAA with Neumann Correction (1995)
- AT eRIAA (2012) - Own optimized version to digitally reduce hum & rumble

For only 19 Euro you can have the basic 44.1 kHz RIAA listed EQs configurations and 1 year maintenance support (any optimization and or adjustment to new MOTU FW version release).
For additional 19 Euro you can have also the 96 kHz eRIAA listed EQs configurations and 1 year maintenance support (any optimization and or adjustment to new MOTU FW version release).
For additional 29 Euro you can have the 44.1 kHz NAB, FFRR and CCIR listed EQs configurations and 1 year maintenance support (any optimization and or adjustment to new MOTU FW version release).

The EQ settings are provided as XML configuration files to be imported or hand copied (the EQ section only) into your default/target configuration.

The current implementations have been done and tested using a new MOTU 896 mk3 Hybrid and can work with the MOTU devices that fully support the MOTU Vintage Parametric EQ (i.e.: the new 896 mk3, 828 mk3, UltraLite mk3 and all the legacy and older having the same parametric EQ).

In the coming weeks will be available on demand all the other known 44 different phono equalizations used so far worldwide for the 78 rpm recording.

For further details and purchase you can visit my personal web site https://sites.google.com/site/tarasconiprojects/ or write to me, Andrea Tarasconi (andrea dot tarasconi at gmail dot com).
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by torrentg »

Very cool that Stephen seems happy with the product, but I really had to log in and post here to say that it is a great day!
maara

Post by maara »

Anyone tried? How does it sounds?
chez

Post by chez »

Does this mean that I can connect my analog turntable directly into my Motu 828Mk3.
Having this setting for only 2 channels left/right and correcting the dynamics using the Motu CueMix FX on a Mac?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

and all the legacy and older having the same parametric EQ
Which isn't many more, I think. Since you are clearly trying to market this, you should take the time to research and list all the interfaces that work with it instead of making us guess.

It won't work with my 828mkII as it doesn't have CueMix FX. Correct?

Although I can see the value and it appears to be priced right for what it does, I would be far more interested in a plugin that I can use within DP to apply to recorded tracks a lá Izotope RX. I'd buy that now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:...I would be far more interested in a plugin that I can use within DP to apply to recorded tracks a lá Izotope RX. I'd buy that now.
Mike, do you use Waves plugins by any chance? I seem to recall (back in the days when I actually dealt with that company) that they had a set of presets for RIAA EQ.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Audacity has an RIAA EQ plugin that I've used for years for free.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

BTW, don't forget that phono preamps also load the phono cartridge. I seem to recall 47K ohm shunted by 470 pf as the standard, but some manufactures of cartridges recommend other loads and some preamps have adjustable settings.

So, if you are hooking your cartridge directly to your audio interface, you'll need to add a resistor and a capacitor in parallel. Don't forget to include the input impedance of your interface in the calculation (if it's less than 47K you're screwed - you'll need a buffer). I can't remember the typical output of a phono cartidge, so I don't know if you'll need a gain stage as well. (easy to look up)

As I look at all this, it's probably just as easy to build a simple RIAA preamp. :shock:

Phil

edit: I wasn't thinking stereo. Double what I said above.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I use an ok ART USB phono preamp with my Mac. It works but the thought of trying different RIAA curves on a recorded track opens up possibilities when working with old tracks as I sometimes do.

I'll look at the Waves plugs. Thanks for the tip!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro