Yamaha BC-3 Repair

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yamaha BC-3 Repair

Post by HCMarkus »

Having gone thru two of Yamaha's cool BC-3 breath controller devices recently, and deciding I didn't want to drop another $90 when my third one breaks, I devised a repair I wanted to share.

Unlike the BC-1, which was practically indestructible, the BC-3 has a flexible tube which transmits air from one's mouth to a sensor located in the body of the unit. The tube is attached to the body by slip-fitting over a small plastic nipple protruding from an angle tube that fits into a rubber socket inside the BC-3 body. In addition to having a tendency to slip off the nipple at inopportune moments (usually mid-performance), the tube exerts significant lateral force on the nipple, and this is where the BC-3 typically fails.

Yamaha does not sell parts for the BC-3. :(

The solution I happened upon is found in 1/4" heat-shrink tubing. This size tubing fits nicely over the flexible tube and the angle tube. Disassembly of the BC-3 is required (two small phillips-head screws old the body together) and the plastic body must be trimmed slightly to allowed the heat-shrink tube-encased joint to clear.

Using two layers of heat-shrink tubing, I was able to reinforce my current BC-3 at the weak point, both preventing the flex tube from slipping off the nipple, and providing additional support to the flex tube - angle tube junction. I have high hopes for lengthy service from this puppy. And I now have a KSM32 metal mic case dedicated to BC-3 transport for gigging, having retired the tupperware to the kitchen.

I also successfully repaired my two older units by gluing the nipple back on the angle tube (with plastic cement), letting the junction set overnight, carefully slipping the flex tube over the nipple, then adding two layers of heat shrink tube over the outside of the assembly. How durable this repair will be is unknown, but my first repaired unit is working fine in the studio.

If you have never tried using breath control, and especially if your keyboard has a breath control jack, give it a whirl. I always get compliments from musicians and audience members alike when I break out the BC-3 brass section.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yamaha BC-3 Repair

Post by mhschmieder »

This is as good a place as any to announce that I have a spare BC-3a part if anyone ever needs it. I'll hang onto it indefinitely in case someone finds this post later.

I think it's the smaller tube-like attachment that you are referring to as the nipple. I had just moved at the time I sold my BC3a, and couldn't reach the person I sold it to after I finally found it (he hand-crafted his own).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH