NS-10M Crossover Rebuild?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
gearboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NS-10M Crossover Rebuild?

Post by gearboy »

Howdy NS-10M users.

I am curious. What do you boys and girls do with your older NS-10M (or NS-10) monitors when you blow a tweeter? I am currently using a pair of NS-10M STUDIO monitors (horizontal logo) with the modern and readily available last generation tweeters. However, I have a second pair of NS-10M monitors that have the older tweeters, vertical logo, and speaker grills. This pair is missing woofers (I paid $130 shipped for them). I'm planning on purchasing new woofers for my main pair and dropping the older woofers into the pair that needs them.

Here is the issue. I have never tested these. If the tweeters are blown, I have heard that the newer tweeters are not compatible because of a difference in the cross over. So my question is, have any of you ever redesigned the crossover in your original NS-10Ms to compensate for the new tweeters? I am under the assumption that this is a big deal with compatibility, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
gearboy

Re: NS-10M Crossover Rebuild?

Post by gearboy »

New tweeter on the left, old tweeter on the right.

Crossover schematic for NS-10M Studio:
(from http://www.ns-10.net/category/manuals/.)

Download the manual, check out page #4.

Now... I am a NOVICE regarding reading schematics. I've had basic electronics 10 yrs ago and have never DIY'd anything. But... we're looking at 3 capacitors and 2 resistors, correct? Could part of the problem be older NS-10Ms needing a recap?

Anyway, This circuit looks amazingly easy and inexpensive to build, so I'm not concerned about future-proofing my 2nd set if I decide to go ahead and do this.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

airtime

Post by airtime »

you're looking at three capacitors and two inductors, jeff. no resistors are depicted in the schematic. but it is an easy build.

wayne
iMac11,1, 2.66 GHz, 8 GBRAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, MOTU 828mkII (BLA clock & analog mods), VoiceMaster Platinum, RNP preamps, 4 handmade mic pres, AKG C451E (vintage), AKG 460B, AT 4050, Red/Oktava, sE Z5600A, Shure 545 Unidyne III, Sennheiser MD21s, a few cobbled electret mics, Genelec 1030As, SVS subwoofer and a room that's honest if you're in the sweet spot.
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

Thanks!

resolectric
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by resolectric »

The NS10 Pro (horizontal logo and speaker grills) are not "older" than the NS10 Studio (vertical logo) and their tweeters can be similar.
I have a pair of each and their tweeters are the same.

NS-10M Studio

NS-10M Pro

As you can notice, the Tweeters are similar, unlike the ones in the photo subitted by gearboy where the contruction/appearance are different.

The difference between the Pro and the Studio models may be the Crossover but i've never checked.
I will.
Paulo Miranda - AMPstudio
Silence is the new loud.
©
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

I am pretty sure that the NS-10M Studio and NS-10M Pro are the same exact monitor.

Until I build a soundproof room in my new Philly rowhome, I'll need to continue to do remote recording. Having NS-10s with grills is awesome. I also have a Hafler P-3000 Trans Nova that will fit in a small rack and is mostly functional (needs a recap as one channel slightly distorts)... however, I can monitor in mono if I need to. I want to put together a trashed pair of NS-10s out of spare older parts, however I don't want to blow tweeters if rebuilding a crossover is easy and will cost like $20. We all know how expensive NS-10 parts are.

I have a pair of NS-10Ms (horizontal logo, same tweeter as in both of the previous photos) that I use everyday and love. I also have a pair of NS-10 (vertical logo, old style tweeter, dust covers) that I bought without woofers for $130 shipped. They are beat to crap and ugly as hell, but the cabinets are in good structural shape. My plan is to purchase two new woofers, install them in my daily-use NS-10Ms (horizontal), take the old woofers and install them in the beat-to-death pair.

I have no idea if the tweeters in the vertical pair even work, however, I have a brand new new-style tweeter that I picked up last fall for $50, so I'll only need to purchase another one. and again, I may not even need to replace the old tweets just yet. Remote monitoring will be kind of few and far between (mostly drum tracking on location), but again, I want to have a portable backup just in case.

I'm going to check out the crossover and look into the cost of new parts. Most likely once I build my first I'll recap the other pair.

Jeff