MIDI Guitar Links

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhschmieder »

I have used both Godin and Roland as well, and would say that Godin is definitely the way to go. A much more organic feel, and you spend less time fighting the instrument. I highly recommend a nylon string guitar, as this gives you a lot more control over unwanted resonance as well as greater pitch bend and hammer-on control for adequately controlling non-guitar sounds.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

wylie,
Which way to go???

If possible try out both types if they are available in your area. Do the research, sleep on it, then make your best choice.

The Godin is a well built guitar. It just feels good in my hands from both a tactile experience and playability.

I just recently make a huge parameter setting discovery (Not as exciting as discovering a new mummy in the Valley of the Kings :D ).
The key is setting the Note Off to 30 (the maximum) as this has some dampening effect that reduces finger lift-off noise and false triggers. Apparently, as string vibration reduces as the note fades, the Axon has less information for pitch translation resulting in the pitch "wandering". The theory is that by increasing Note Off (which also reduces MIDI note sustain, not a problem in my case), the note ends before pitch can wander. ( I learned this at the TerraTec Forum which is a great resource!!! Nik is the resident LGX and general MIDI guitar expert.)

My previous comments about having to palm-mute before repositioning my left hand was a reflection that my Note Off setting wasn't high enough. With further exploration I found that by turning this parameter to the max, (with a fairly high string sensitivity (higer is more sensivitive), and low Note On setting (lower means lighter picking will trigger a note, higher means a harder pick stroke is needed to trigger a note) I could drastically reduce the lift-off noise (false triggering that was driving me nuts.)

So at this point, my advice would be to go with a Godin because the internally-installed RMC pickups do track faster and more accurately than the newer GK3 or GK2-A type pickup. In the case of the RMC, the string is resting right on the pickup resulting in much quicker pitch detection.

Hope this helps.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Just announced on harmony-central today, a new/faster optical-based hex pickup scheme for guitars and string basses:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/20 ... ssory.html
mhschmieder

Re: MIDI Guitar Links

Post by mhschmieder »

It took me awhile to find this old post, and hopefully it's still the most relevant one.

The July 2009 issue of Sound-On-Sound has an article on p. 64 about a new product that uses Kontakt scripting (KSP) to allow Kontakt 3 to be controlled by a MIDI guitar as easily as by a keyboard.

The product name is "Even Harmonic GTAK" http://www.evenharmonic.com
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Thanks for posting this. All my K stuff is 2 but with the upgrade from the other post this looks most promising. The only thing I don't do on guitar synth is omni. I prefer to use poly. I don't want anything to do with guitar when I am trying to play a flute or piano patch. This keeps me from falling into I am a guitar player and my VI stuff sounds like a guitar. Poly allows me to better get inside the phrasing of the specific VI. I'd like to try the Gtak script. rated 5 by EM. My experience with 5 ratings from EM is spot on. Now where is the $ to get the upgrade. I will download the demo and check back in. Now that the Trumpet and Mr Sax are going to upgrade I wonder if it will work with this script?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There's a new $179 MIDI Guitar on the horizon, from former Linn employees:

http://www.yourockguitar.com/2009/12/wh ... al-guitar/
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

mhschmieder wrote:There's a new $179 MIDI Guitar on the horizon, from former Linn employees:

http://www.yourockguitar.com/2009/12/wh ... al-guitar/
This looks very cool... I signed up for to pre-order.

I love that you can also use this as a Rockband controller... all MIDI instruments should do this these days. Gotta blow off steam! :lol:
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

I watched the demo. I'll reserve my comments until I play one which I won't buy because I have had very good tracking with what I have. It's now even better. I installed a Resonari block in my synth guitar. It increases the sustain of the guitar which in turn gives better tracking. The key is dead strings won't track! A correct set up is mandatory.
Gtek is very cool. Very much worth it if you have Kontakt.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Here's an interesting converter:
http://www.sonuus.com/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sad to say that the Axon Ax 50 is discontinued: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/show ... hp?t=27664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Godin LGX-SA and Axon Ax 100 is a MIDI guitar dream team.
RMC piezo pickups live and breathe compared to the GK-2A or GK-3 type pickups.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's too bad. I never got around to buying an Axon unit, and the reservation had to do with the lingering feeling (from when I had a Godin Multiac plus Roland GR-series guitar synth combination), that the guitar is the least ideal MIDI interface of the lot.

Percussion interfaces, wind controllers, cello-to-MIDI, etc., and keyboards, all seem less technically challenging than guitar/bass-to-MIDI.

Similarly, I tried the new MXR Bass Envelope Filter pedal this weekend (and their Bass Octave pedal), and it was another reminder of the challenges of tracking vibrating plucked strings.

Somehow, tracking a bowed string (such as Zeta MIDI Cello) is easier. And though guitar-tracking has improved over the years and continues to do so, I think there's a reason that the market is so small.

Instead, I think we will see newer concepts such as the Moog Guitar take over from the older hex pickup systems. These will also be more expressive instruments that pick up more of the nuances of playing.

celia19O5

Post by celia19O5 »

Wow many links about guitars :) Thanks for sharing. I am looking for a good guitar :D
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

This looks like a better option to the YRG: An affordable Starr Labs controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2I8qmMyDuI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mhschmieder wrote:That's too bad. I never got around to buying an Axon unit, and the reservation had to do with the lingering feeling (from when I had a Godin Multiac plus Roland GR-series guitar synth combination), that the guitar is the least ideal MIDI interface of the lot.
I picked up a GI-20 and have found a combination of Play Feel and Sensitivity settings that are close enough to the Axon for my playing style. The Axon is still very much a part of my main set up, with the Roland now coupled with my MBP.

While you're absolutely right about the challenges of using a guitar controller, it can be tamed with patience, a good set up, and clean technique.

I use it exclusively for sequencing and couldn't be happier. It works great for "performing" monophonic passages in orchestral music, a style of music I thought I'd never ever pursue until recently. Thanks for that goes to classic horror movie soundtracks.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

celia19O5 wrote:Wow many links about guitars :) Thanks for sharing. I am looking for a good guitar :D
Spam? One post and jave developer link in sig??? I wonder???
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!