It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 am

Text Size

Resonant Undertones

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Re: Resonant Undertones

Postby guitardood » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Don't know if it's a good solution, but one I used was Melodyne.

I had a guitar solo which had some weird low undertones on a few sustained notes. What I did to clear them up was to load the track into Melodyne polyphonic mode, located the undertones and pulled the volume way down on them until the notes sounded natural. Just deleting them kind of ruined the sound, but lowering the level of just those undertones helped save an otherwise great take.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
guitardood

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby philbrown » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 am

Rick, this is admittedly a kind of lame suggestion, but of course I'll post it anyway. I have found various high-pass functions of different EQ's to sound pretty different from each other. Not sure how much of that is the curve itself or just part of inherent 'character' of the EQ/phase anomalies etc. I have a couple I tend to lean toward and MWEQ isn't one of them. I mostly use UA's Harrison EQ for that and lately PSP McQ which is an MCI console EQ emulation. It's worth trying different ones at different settings but may not solve your specific issue of course. My wife's Moog Sub 37 that we use for bass has a ridiculous amount of low end so I've gotten to know my high-passes pretty well.
Video from our new album

2012 Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.46 64GB RAM•OS 10.12.6•DP 9.13•UAD-2 Octo and Duo cards•Midas M32R•
Plugs: UAD•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Flux•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce•Slate
philbrown

Postby Rick Cornish » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 pm

philbrown wrote:Rick, this is admittedly a kind of lame suggestion, but of course I'll post it anyway. I have found various high-pass functions of different EQ's to sound pretty different from each other. Not sure how much of that is the curve itself or just part of inherent 'character' of the EQ/phase anomalies etc. I have a couple I tend to lean toward and MWEQ isn't one of them. I mostly use UA's Harrison EQ for that and lately PSP McQ which is an MCI console EQ emulation. It's worth trying different ones at different settings but may not solve your specific issue of course. My wife's Moog Sub 37 that we use for bass has a ridiculous amount of low end so I've gotten to know my high-passes pretty well.

Thanks, Phil. Going to give it a try. This one is a bugger.
Rick Cornish

Late-2013 MacPro (3.5GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 1tB int. SSD + two 500gB ext. TB SSDs), 27" Cinema Display, Mac OS 10.12.5, DP 9.13 (64-bit), VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Rob Papen, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire Audio, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 9, Brainworx, Wavesfactory, Vengeance, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other assorted FX plug-ins, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, Genelec 1032a (w/1092 sub), and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III.
Rick Cornish

Postby daniel.sneed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:43 am

In case the undertones are loud enough, you may try to *see* them in RX6 Spectral Repair.
If you do *see* them, then deleting them is a breeze.
BTW it will bring no audible artefacts.
dAn
Shake it all over!
___
DP9.5, OS10.12.6, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-1ToSSD-16GoRam
Pianoteq, Falcon, Alchemy, Iris, BreakTweaker, Kontakt, Absynth, Reason, GPO, Miroslav
Novation 49SLmkII, Studiologic VMK161+, ControlPad, EWIusb
Blofeld, UltraNova & MiniNova,
Lexicon, Ozone, RX, Alloy, Trash, SpectraFoo, IrcamTS
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X-32 rack
Many mics (Tuby or not tuby? That is the question)
Many guitars, banjos, mandolins, flutes, xylos, kalimbas...
http://myspace.com/adokmusic
daniel.sneed

Postby Rick Cornish » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:55 pm

daniel.sneed wrote:In case the undertones are loud enough, you may try to *see* them in RX6 Spectral Repair.
If you do *see* them, then deleting them is a breeze.
BTW it will bring no audible artefacts.

Hi Dan.....
Thanks for the note. I did bring it into RX6, and was able to see the low fundamental of the tone and first overtone, but I couldn't get the other overtones out without compromising the sound. Maybe I need to work harder on this.

I've tried everything I can think of to remove vibrations from the guitar (tightened everything, felt under the pickguard, etc.) and it still happens. The most noticeable artifacts are when I play a high triad on the highest strings that contains a major second:
• G (3rd string/12th fret)
• C (2nd string/13th fret)
• D (1st string/10th fret)

The undertone that's produced is around C2 (65.41Hz) with a strong overtone at C3 (130.81Hz). There is also some low distortion happening, which I'm still trying to chase. This is all very subtle on first listen, but after a while, it's all I hear. Frustrating. :deadhorse:
Rick Cornish

Late-2013 MacPro (3.5GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 1tB int. SSD + two 500gB ext. TB SSDs), 27" Cinema Display, Mac OS 10.12.5, DP 9.13 (64-bit), VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Rob Papen, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire Audio, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 9, Brainworx, Wavesfactory, Vengeance, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other assorted FX plug-ins, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, Genelec 1032a (w/1092 sub), and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III.
Rick Cornish

Postby Gravity Jim » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Do you hear this tone when simply playing the guitar, or only in the recording?
Jim Bordner
http://www.gravitymusic.com
MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.13 • MOTU 896mk3 • MOTU DP 9.5 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Diamond, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, Chipsounds, V Collection 5, Korg Legacy • Roland & Yamaha hardware • Fender, Gibson, Godin, Danelectro, Line 6, Warmoth and Cedar Creek guitars, Fuchs ODS amp
Gravity Jim

Postby Rick Cornish » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:28 am

Gravity Jim wrote:Do you hear this tone when simply playing the guitar, or only in the recording?

Hi JIm—I can hear it acoustically (however subtly, as my HR Fusion III isn't really an "acoustic" guitar). I've tried tightening down all the parts (pickguard, etc.), but—short of damping all the (admittedly minimal) acoustic properties of the instrument, I can't defeat it.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Previous

Return to General Recording