It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 am
   
Text Size

Free Versions of Professional DAW

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby RecoCham » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:49 am

I have been looking at the 'free' versions of leading DAW lately. I owned a PT 11 and have been working in it for my video production requirement though I am only a 'self learned engineer'. However, I could produce outstanding sound track part with the competition or even better. Studio One especially version 3 is a beautiful piece of software. It is light weight compared to many other competitor product. I like it a lot and in some areas it excels it competitors. Even though I would want to continue keeping Studio One as one of my DAWs, I miss few things which makes me think if I have to bring in S1 as my primary DAW. I am comparing Pro Toots | First and Studio One 3 Prime. Below are the major areas making me think.

Included Instruments and Plugins
Mixing Windows

I have recorded guitar and vocals using a dynamic mic - SM58 and condenser Rode NT1A. Both Pro Tools First and Studio One 3 Prime sounded equally good to my ears. However when I started adding effects, somehow S1 lacked something compared to PT First prima facie. Also when more tracks are added, S1 Prime seem to be bit behind in placing the tracks in its right place compared to PT First.

When it comes to the instruments, PT First has the same Xpand! available which is found in fully paid versions. The quality of instruments and the possibility of tweaking and customizing PT F and Xpand1 is far ahead of S1 Prime and Presence. Individually the many of the instruments sound good but to my ears, comparatively they lag behind the cutting edge pristine quality of Xpand!.

Another thing I struggle is the mixer section compared to PT. Many a times I am lost compared to the ease, clarify flexibility of the mixer section found in PT F. One window concept is good and compact especially when you have limitation of display span. This is my opinion based on the kind of work I do. However, S1 3 Prime, even though it comes free, is good enough for beginners to go forward with their work and later upgrade to S1 pro versions.

When comparing S1 3 Prime and PT F, one things needs to be seriously looked at, in my opinion. Would people prefer S1 3 Prime if PT First remove the restriction on maximum 3 projects? Though I have only pointed out few thing which put S1 ahead of competition, I have no doubt that it is a super piece of software with great functionality, solid performance with minimum to no headaches in small setups like I have.

I am new to Digital Performer. I have several reason why I can use one of the above DAW for my requirement as it is fairly small. Does DP has anything like Pro Tools First or Studio One 3 Prime can offer>
RecoCham
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:39 am
Location: Dubai
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby cleamon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:27 am

RecoCham wrote:I have been looking at the 'free' versions of leading DAW lately. I owned a PT 11 and have been working in it for my video production requirement though I am only a 'self learned engineer'. However, I could produce outstanding sound track part with the competition or even better. Studio One especially version 3 is a beautiful piece of software. It is light weight compared to many other competitor product. I like it a lot and in some areas it excels it competitors. Even though I would want to continue keeping Studio One as one of my DAWs, I miss few things which makes me think if I have to bring in S1 as my primary DAW. I am comparing Pro Toots | First and Studio One 3 Prime. Below are the major areas making me think.

Included Instruments and Plugins
Mixing Windows

I have recorded guitar and vocals using a dynamic mic - SM58 and condenser Rode NT1A. Both Pro Tools First and Studio One 3 Prime sounded equally good to my ears. However when I started adding effects, somehow S1 lacked something compared to PT First prima facie. Also when more tracks are added, S1 Prime seem to be bit behind in placing the tracks in its right place compared to PT First.

When it comes to the instruments, PT First has the same Xpand! available which is found in fully paid versions. The quality of instruments and the possibility of tweaking and customizing PT F and Xpand1 is far ahead of S1 Prime and Presence. Individually the many of the instruments sound good but to my ears, comparatively they lag behind the cutting edge pristine quality of Xpand!.

Another thing I struggle is the mixer section compared to PT. Many a times I am lost compared to the ease, clarify flexibility of the mixer section found in PT F. One window concept is good and compact especially when you have limitation of display span. This is my opinion based on the kind of work I do. However, S1 3 Prime, even though it comes free, is good enough for beginners to go forward with their work and later upgrade to S1 pro versions.

When comparing S1 3 Prime and PT F, one things needs to be seriously looked at, in my opinion. Would people prefer S1 3 Prime if PT First remove the restriction on maximum 3 projects? Though I have only pointed out few thing which put S1 ahead of competition, I have no doubt that it is a super piece of software with great functionality, solid performance with minimum to no headaches in small setups like I have.

I am new to Digital Performer. I have several reason why I can use one of the above DAW for my requirement as it is fairly small. Does DP has anything like Pro Tools First or Studio One 3 Prime can offer>

Check out http://motu.com/products/software/audiodesk
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac 3.2GHz Core i3 || 12GB Ram || OS/X 10.11.6 || Motu 828MkII || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
User avatar
cleamon
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby mikehalloran » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 am

AudioDesk is free. It does not have the MIDI functionality of DP.

It also requires that you own a MOTU interface.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.4.1, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 15.1
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby bayswater » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 am

... or download the free DP9 trial http://motu.com/download
2009 iMac 27" i7 16G, DP 8.07/9.02/9.5 & OS 10.12.6, Logic 10.3.2, Scarlett 18i8
2011 MBP 16G DP 9.5 & OS 10.12.6, Lexicon Alpha
Dual 2.0G G5 PCI 2G, DP 7.24 & OS 10.5.8, 2408 MKII, UAD-1
User avatar
bayswater
 
Posts: 8122
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Vancouver
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby mikehalloran » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:56 pm

MOTU Digital Performer 9 - Competitive Upgrade

Discover a better way to create music with MOTU's Digital Performer 9 DAW software!
To qualify for this reduced price crossgrade, you must be able to provide proof-of-registration for one of the following products:

Acid
AudioDesk*
Audition
Cakewalk
Cubase
Live
Logic
Nuendo
Pro Tools
Reason
SONAR
SoundForge
Soundtrack Pro
Studio One
Tracktion
Vegas
Vision


*The free version of AudioDesk does not have a serial number but the copy bundled with any MOTU hardware interface does.

You may purchase DP from MOTU or your favorite reseller.

If you purchase from a reseller, the package will include an Activation Code sticker in the Quick Start Guide but no serial number. Go online to create a User Account and activate. Use dashes instead of minus signs or the server won't recognize the code.

The serial number is required for tech support and upgrades. To get a serial number, you must submit proof of a qualifying product—after MOTU verifies this, a serial number will be added to your account. The serial number does not change with the version—mine is the same as it was for DP 2.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.4.1, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 15.1
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby RecoCham » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:39 am

mikehalloran wrote:AudioDesk is free. It does not have the MIDI functionality of DP.

It also requires that you own a MOTU interface.


Thanks for the information. Will I be able to use a trial version of Digital Performer without a Motu hardware?

Thanks
Jp


http://www.recordingchamber.com
RecoCham
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:39 am
Location: Dubai
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby daniel.sneed » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:52 am

Of course, DP will work fine with any audio interface.
But Motu interfaces will add some nice monitoring-while-tracking features within DP.

edit - Hey what the heck ! This is my 2000th post on this great board ! -
dAn
Shake it all over!
___
DP9.51, OS10.12.6, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-1ToSSD-16GoRam
Pianoteq, Falcon, Alchemy, Iris, BreakTweaker, Kontakt, Absynth, Reason, GPO, Miroslav
Novation 49SLmkII, Studiologic VMK161+, ControlPad, EWIusb
Blofeld, UltraNova & MiniNova,
Lexicon, Ozone, RX, Alloy, Trash, SpectraFoo, IrcamTS
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X-32 rack
Many mics (Tuby or not tuby? That is the question)
Many guitars, banjos, mandolins, flutes, xylos, kalimbas...
http://myspace.com/adokmusic
User avatar
daniel.sneed
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: France
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby RecoCham » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks for all the reply. I will try the free version of DP9. I have also heard a lot from my audio engineer friend about motu hardware as well.
RecoCham
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:39 am
Location: Dubai
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby stubbsonic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 am

Congrats, Daniel!!
RMBP (2.6 i7), FF800, OS 10.10.5, DP8, Kontakt, Reaktor, K2661S, K2500RS, iPad4, (also an old sawtooth G4 with a UAD-1 for legacy apps).

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
User avatar
stubbsonic
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:56 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby mikehalloran » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am

RecoCham wrote:Thanks for all the reply. I will try the free version of DP9. I have also heard a lot from my audio engineer friend about motu hardware as well.


Since AudioDesk is bundled with MOTU interfaces, some resellers will sell DP at the crossgrade price when you purchase the hardware. Sweetwater, a sponsor of this board, is one of them.

If you have questions about the interfaces, best to find a thread discussing the one that interests you or start a new one.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.4.1, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 15.1
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby bayswater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:29 pm

I got the crossgrade price by having Cubase. PT 11 and Studio One might qualify too.
2009 iMac 27" i7 16G, DP 8.07/9.02/9.5 & OS 10.12.6, Logic 10.3.2, Scarlett 18i8
2011 MBP 16G DP 9.5 & OS 10.12.6, Lexicon Alpha
Dual 2.0G G5 PCI 2G, DP 7.24 & OS 10.5.8, 2408 MKII, UAD-1
User avatar
bayswater
 
Posts: 8122
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Vancouver
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Free Versions of Professional DAW

Postby mikehalloran » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I posted the list earlier in this thread.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.4.1, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 15.1
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS


Return to General Recording

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 151 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login Form