small control surface for DP8

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
musicman691

small control surface for DP8

Post by musicman691 »

Looking for a small control surface for DP8 and on to DP9. Looking at the Presonus Faderport and DP8 isn't supported. Has anybody tried it and if so how did it work out? I don't need/want any more than the single fader the Faderport has (don't have the room either). The Frontier Designs Tranzport has long been out of production and that was the only other single fader cs I knew of. This would be on OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5. For me it's not so much a thing of being cheap but physical space which is in short supply around here (and I don't have a TARDIS :wink: )
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: small control surface for DP8

Post by mikehalloran »

A quick read tells me that the drivers are 32bit, Cocoa based.

Unfortunately, out of date drivers for Presonus is old news. That's too bad because it looks like an interesting product.

I was really happy with my JL Cooper CS32 but they stopped support after OS 10.4.11. I was able to use it in 10.5 and 10.6/Rosetta through manually installing the drivers. With OS 10.7, it became a paperweight. Damn!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My ancient BCF2000 still works with DP 8, emulating Mackie Control or Baby HUI.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You're kidding, Baysey. Wow.

The X-Touch and compact version look pretty good too. I just checked 'em out thanks to you; for some reason all these years I'd thought the BCFs were non-motorised. Now I see them in a new light, expeshilly with that 3-year warranty. Good stuff.

While I was there I couldn't help but check out their e-kits. The XD8OUSB's blurb offered this irresistible piece of wisdom:

And when you’re finished playing, just fold up the kit and stash it behind the couch or underneath the bed. Now your significant other will still respect you in the morning!

...which would surely render these beasties priceless. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:While I was there I couldn't help but check out their e-kits. The XD8OUSB's blurb offered this irresistible piece of wisdom:

And when you’re finished playing, just fold up the kit and stash it behind the couch or underneath the bed. Now your significant other will still respect you in the morning!

...which would surely render these beasties priceless. :lol:
All: in case you think Monkey made this up, he didn't -- it's really there. I didn't know Behringer's reputation with significant others was so poor.

And to the OP, have a look at the X-control mini. Might do what you want.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:A quick read tells me that the drivers are 32bit, Cocoa based.

Unfortunately, out of date drivers for Presonus is old news. That's too bad because it looks like an interesting product.

I was really happy with my JL Cooper CS32 but they stopped support after OS 10.4.11. I was able to use it in 10.5 and 10.6/Rosetta through manually installing the drivers. With OS 10.7, it became a paperweight. Damn!
That's odd because what I've read on the Presonus site is that the FaderPort has been tested and approved for a number of 64 bit daw programs as well as 64 bit versions of OSX.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:A quick read tells me that the drivers are 32bit, Cocoa based.

That's odd because what I've read on the Presonus site is that the FaderPort has been tested and approved for a number of 64 bit daw programs as well as 64 bit versions of OSX.
Their site specifically says that DP 8 is NOT supported.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:

Their site specifically says that DP 8 is NOT supported.
I know that and that's why I asked here if anyone knew of another small one fader control surface. What I was responding to here was that it seemed odd that the FaderPort works in a few 64 bit daws but not in DP8.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:What I was responding to here was that it seemed odd that the FaderPort works in a few 64 bit daws but not in DP8.
Sometime, not supported means not tested, might work and might not, don't expect support if it doesn't. Like some Waves stuff. Or it might mean that the Faderport doesn't follow a general spec completely, so has to be customized to some degree for each DAW.

So it might or might not work with DP, regardless if it works on OS X at 64 bit.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Many 32bit Cocoa only apps and plugs work nicely in 64bit OS. They won't work with 64bit only apps. If the app doesn't support Carbon graphics, it won't work with DP 8 in 32bit, either from OS 10.8 on. All 64bit Mac apps support Carbon.

DP 7.24 is a 32bit only, Cocoa app, BTW. It works just fine in Yosemite. Carbon only plugs do not work with DP 7 nor do they work in DSP-Quatro.

I'm pretty certain that I'm correct.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gelliott

Post by gelliott »

HI,

I recently purchased a JL Cooper CS-32 and after some playing around I have it working with OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite). This is a great piece of hardware. The serial driver for the CS-32 is already installed on this version of OS X just needed to get a serial to MIDI converter (using the free hairless MIDI<->Serial Bridge and set the Baud rate to 38400). After selecting the CS-32 as the DAW Controller in Logic Pro X a lot of the controls on the CS-32 are working (Track Select, Shuttle Wheel, volume controls) but some are not and I believe it is because the CS-32 is not in "HOST-MODE". I was wondering if anyone knows how to put the unit in HOST-MODE without the configuration software

Thanks

Graeme
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

gelliott wrote:HI,

I recently purchased a JL Cooper CS-32 and after some playing around I have it working with OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite). This is a great piece of hardware. The serial driver for the CS-32 is already installed on this version of OS X just needed to get a serial to MIDI converter (using the free hairless MIDI<->Serial Bridge and set the Baud rate to 38400). After selecting the CS-32 as the DAW Controller in Logic Pro X a lot of the controls on the CS-32 are working (Track Select, Shuttle Wheel, volume controls) but some are not and I believe it is because the CS-32 is not in "HOST-MODE". I was wondering if anyone knows how to put the unit in HOST-MODE without the configuration software

Thanks

Graeme
Graeme, which version of the CS-32 do you have? There is a MIDI and a USB. I have the USB.

My unit responds to Core only but I can't make DP see it as there are no drivers for Intel Macs. I have been hoping that I can make MIDI Learn accomplish something but haven't played with it yet.
CPU-!!!!

Post by CPU-!!!! »

JlCooper CS-32 Mini on OSX El Capitan

the driver may not be necessary but I found it was needed
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... r_v2_3.dmg

projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/
Settings are important:
Baud 38400
Data Bits 8
Parity none
Stop bits 1
Flow Cntrl none

Then Map USB <-> Serial to the MIDI in to IAC Driver Bus 1 & MIDI out to IAC Driver Bus 2

I have mine working perfectly so far... it is great actually with studio one as the DAW is preconfigured for it so there was no setup needed. I think that is all it takes but I also tried a few dead ends.
If the above fails -->Mine shows up in the MIDI interface as the MCS2 because I toyed with the Install_MCS2_USB_2.8 package from the jlcooper site. you may try to Install it to get some of the files it provides. I removed the install but it does leave something behind...
CPU-!!!!

Post by CPU-!!!! »

The driver for the MCS2 I used with the CS-32 is unstable and frequently disappears.

I also edited the above to include two separate IAC Bus as it creates a loop otherwise.
Map USB <-> Serial to the MIDI in to IAC Driver Bus 1 & MIDI out to IAC Driver Bus 2
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

musicman691 wrote:

I think the problem is that the control surface bundle which is specific to DP, needs to be updated. That was the issue with the AlphaTrack, which was solved when another board member and I tracked down the programmer and convinced him to update it. He sells it here:

http://www.synclavier.com/AlphaTrackPlugin.html

You can also get it to work in El Capitan, as I am doing already. More info here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60778
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!